Author Topic: Cracked Our First Parm at 6 Months.  (Read 1760 times)

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
Cracked Our First Parm at 6 Months.
« on: February 28, 2021, 07:07:05 PM »
Last September 3 we made a Parmesan-style cheese, only our third cheese.... It was a 2 gallon make, resulting in a yield of about 1.5 lbs.... After an initial aging in the cheese cave for a couple of weeks, we got tired of chasing mold, so cleaned it and vacuum bagged it....

Today we cracked it, aged 6 months.... It exceeded all our expectations....  8) .... The rind was quite tough, but the paste was dry yet pliable, with only a tiny crack or two in the center.... It sliced beautifully, and was really tasty, definitely a Parm.... We will be using the first quarter mostly for grating, although it is actually a delightful table cheese right now.... slightly salty, delightfully nutty, with a bit of a bite on the tongue.... It is actually better than any store bought Parmesan we have ever had....  :o

The remaining three quarters are bagged and back in the cave, to be sampled at 12, 18 and 24 months.... I am surprised at how mature this Parm is at just 6 months, perhaps it will not make it all the way to 2 years?.... ::)

Bob
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

Offline paulabob

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 12
Re: Cracked Our First Parm at 6 Months.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 02:17:46 PM »
What recipe did you follow?  Looks great!

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 04:18:54 PM »
Thanks!.... We followed the recipe in Ricki Caldwell's book "Home Cheesemaking".... We used 7.5 litres of store bought skim milk plus 0.5 litres of 33% cream, for a total of 8 litres of 2% BF.... I'm sure using 2% P/H milk would work just fine....

Bob
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 20
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 11:53:47 PM »
Wow.. Your third cheese and it's a Parm AND a success.  Congratulations, that is truly awesome!  One day I'll try a longer aging cheese but I want to make sure I can consistently make shorter aged cheese.  But this sure is an inspiration.
Making cheese is easy, making a cheese is hard

Offline Lancer99

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 44
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 02:45:15 AM »
Looks excellent, AC4U!

It will just get better (although I've never gotten past 18 months with a Parm/Romano!)

-L