Author Topic: Raw goat milk - no separator - can I age cheese?  (Read 3340 times)

Sab77

Raw goat milk - no separator - can I age cheese?
« on: March 03, 2021, 11:58:52 AM »
Hi all,

It's been a while since I've been here. My goats had dried up but now they are back in business!
My question is regarding aging cheese. I had failures last year and I want to improve.
I don't have a milk separator, so I always use whole milk (about 5% fat).
Does this fat make the cheese less easy to age? I mean will it spoil more easily because it has the fat still in it?

My goal would be to make a good, old cheddar and a parmesan. Will those succeed even with whole milk?

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Re: Raw goat milk - no separator - can I age cheese?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 10:46:58 PM »
The primary issue with excess fat (and remember it's not purely the butterfat % that matters, but the ratio of fat:protein) is that the fat gradually breaks down through lipolysis. This process is good to a point as it results in new flavors - cheese gains flavor as it ages - but at a certain point it becomes excessive and results in off flavors.
You may experience bitter, rancid, and pineapple-y/bitey/butyric acid flavors (ok, not sure if these are from lipolysis or proteolysis but you get the idea).

If a cheese is properly made and salted adequately it generally will withstand a decent amount of aging if the butterfat is reasonable (up to about 0.8:1 protein: butterfat).
Lower salt cheeses (like some Alpines) or very long aged wheels (think Parm) need less butterfat as those off flavors will develop more quickly.

So if you have high fat/low protein goat milk, the milk will be great for soft fresh cheeses, soft ripened cheeses and semi-soft/shorter aged wheels like Colby, Tomme, etc.
Cheddar would really depend on what your p:bf ratio is - you can get a components test on the milk or just give it a go and find out.
Parm simply doesn't achieve the proper texture with whole milk but you can still make a nice grana style cheese.

The Slavic Beauty separators aren't super expensive and they work really well. Or add some store-bought cow skim milk :)

oliverhenry

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 11:32:24 PM »
This is such a good insight. I have some goats too, but I haven't tried making cheese from goat's milk. I planned on making some but I don't know what cheese to make. So cheddar is a good choice? I don't have a milk separator, too.

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 01:28:17 AM »
Some cheeses are simply easier to make than others. If you're just starting out I recommend starting with soft/fresh cheeses like chevre, whole milk ricotta, and feta. Fairly straightforward, good yields, and instant (almost) gratification.

Offline FishFarmAndy

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Regenerative smallholder, artisan cheesemaker
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2022, 03:23:06 PM »
That's really interesting. I've looked back on my cheddar notes and found p:f ratios, this is for cow's milk but it's late season milk with 5-6% fat, from 2 different neighbours' farms.  We just tasted some.  One of these, at 4.5mo age and 0.76:1 p:f British Friesian, is really strong for its age, tending to divide opinion. Another, at 4mo age and 0.73:1 Jersey cross (one of the last milkings before their winter break), is milder and both of us really like that one.

I'm collecting milk from the first farm this afternoon, I'll take samples for Jo the farmer to taste. She always gives me an immediate, very direct assessment of my efforts  :)

Offline FishFarmAndy

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Regenerative smallholder, artisan cheesemaker
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2022, 11:42:21 AM »
This is such a good insight. I have some goats too, but I haven't tried making cheese from goat's milk. I planned on making some but I don't know what cheese to make. So cheddar is a good choice? I don't have a milk separator, too.

Which breed of goat, and can you find typical, seasonal p:bf for that breed?

Here at our smallholding in the UK we are considering goats, with British Toggenburg as one choice, available in kid locally, soon, from a good keepers. Others we've considered are dairy dwarves or, less likely, Anglo Nubians - both higher fat than the BT but I'm not sure about protein.

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2022, 07:07:01 PM »
I have been making aged raw goat milk cheeses for over 10 years.
I have had to tweek a few of the recipes, but the outcome has been great.
I make Monterey Jack, Havarti, Gouda, Stilton, Edam. All delicious.