Author Topic: Penicillium Roqueforti  (Read 1696 times)

Offline broombank

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 12
  • Default personal text
Penicillium Roqueforti
« on: March 06, 2021, 06:37:29 PM »
Do any UK members know where it is possible to buy different strains of Penicillium Roqueforti of the sort American home cheesemakers can get? - the only people I have found ( Orchard dairy) sell a minimum of 10 100litre sachets for  £53. This would take me 10 years to use at current rate of production!

Offline pickles

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • ancient dabbler
Re: Penicillium Roqueforti
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 07:31:14 PM »
You could try this link:

https://cheeseandyogurt.co.uk/products/cheese-culture-roqueforti-blue-mold-for-cheese-making

I've dealt with this company and been satisfied with their service.

Incidentally some makers make a mulch from a commercial blue cheese and use that to set up. Somewhat different, but I have been successful using this method to create a Camembert type cheese, though I have no experience with blue cheese.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 07:55:11 PM by pickles »

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 07:39:46 AM »
PR is pretty much the only one that I think it probably doesn't make sense to buy (unless you really know what you want).  Even at NEC, the price is $35 and the amount you get will almost certainly last you a lifetime.  Using commercial cheese is very easy (just plonk some in -- you don't need much).  And then as long as you keep a blue cheese going you pretty much have it for life (or you can culture it up on some rye bread and I *believe* it will store in the freezer OK -- haven't tried it).  Really I suppose it depends on if you have something specific you want...

Offline broombank

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 12
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 04:58:23 PM »
thankyou both for your replies - that is very helpful. It hadn't really occurred to me to use the cheese I'm trying to emulate.