Author Topic: A story of 3 camemberts  (Read 936 times)

nvanremo

A story of 3 camemberts
« on: March 08, 2021, 08:58:21 AM »
I started out with cheesemaking  about two months ago.
My fist 3 cheeses were camemberts, made with some different takes on the classical Camembert recipe.
All were made with raw unpasteurized cows milk.

- the first cam (right one on the pic below) I made contained 30% butter milk. I also brined it for 3 hours on day 3. It resulted in a harder cheese and a delayed formation of the fluffy penicillium candidum, which eventually did cover the whole cheese nicely.
After 3 weeks in a large box in the cheese fridge, I decided to wrap it in 2 ply butchers paper. At week 6 I opened the package and saw that the fluff had all but dissapeared into a now slightly moist rind with an orange-y tint
The cheese remained firm and the flavor is highly complex and has a nice tang to it. More like a Munster cheese.
- cams 2 and 3 were both made at the same time with nothing but raw milk and a starter culture (different one than my first cam). They were salted by hand and also resulted in a softer cheese. Nr 2 was ripened 2 weeks in a box and then wrapped for another 2 weeks. It resulted in a creamy, not yet runny, layer under the rind, and a firmer center (see pic of the wedges) number 3 was never wrapped but left to mature one extra week. After 5 weeks, it stated to give af a bit of ammonia smell, so I cut into it. The taste is great, but it’s still firmer than the wrapped one, which was in all respects made identical.

There you go, it shows that tasty surprises happen, and that small twists can make a difference in texture and taste.
Also the raw milk and the cultures you start with have quite some influence, I think. Lots to learn to find that sweet spot that is to the max of your liking.

Pictures below.

Right: brined and wrapped with 30%butter milk, 6 weeks old
Left: just raw milk and starter culture, unwrapped 5 weeks old

Raw milk and same starter culture as left one above, 4 weeks old, but wrapped after week 2

Offline broombank

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 12
  • Default personal text
Re: A story of 3 camemberts
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 05:45:14 PM »
like you I have only been doing this since the end of November. The first Camembert was surprisingly good and I later made some triple creme trying to emulate Brillat Savarin or Royal Briard from the Ile de France. Despite making a mistake with the milk and buying homogenised Guernsey milk which failed to make a good curd the resulting cheese is really very good. I have no access to raw mild in Scotland where it is illegal to sell it Flora Danica , P candidum  and Geo Candidum certainly produced a good flavour with that mushroom tinge which  I so love.

Offline Lancer99

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 44
  • Default personal text
Re: A story of 3 camemberts
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 07:28:16 AM »
Those look delicious!

Did you use a recipe for stabilized paste (I'm guessing)?

"tasty surprises happen." That's my cheese mantra!  :)

-L