Author Topic: Can Feta cheese be made with powdered goats milk?  (Read 2495 times)

tropicbarb

Can Feta cheese be made with powdered goats milk?
« on: March 28, 2021, 05:54:07 AM »
I live in Guam, and the only milk that we have is UHT, so I know that I have to use some other type of milk to make cheese. We have powdered goat's milk available, and  I wanted to know if I could use it to make feta cheese?

I am glad that I found this great forum!

Thank you,
Barb

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
Re: Can Feta cheese be made with powdered goats milk?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 08:29:47 AM »
I think you can (depending on how the powdered milk was made), but the flavour may suffer.  You'll want to use skim milk powder and mix it with an appropriate amount of cream ("half and half", or 18% "light cream" is apparently fine).  Of course you also need calcium chloride and rennet, but I guess you'll be able to mail order it.  Guam is pretty small.  Are there *any* goats on the island?  It might be worth looking around to see if you can find anyone raising them.  I imagine cows are right out :-) (similar to Okinawa).  This PDF from the University of Guam seems to imply that *maybe* there are some people raising goats?  If you could find somebody, maybe they would be interested in a milk for cheese swap :-)

tropicbarb

Re: Can Feta cheese be made with powdered goats milk?
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 06:34:02 AM »
Thank you for your response. I tried to reach out to the goat ranchers on the island, and none of them seemed interested in selling their milk. The cheese swap is a great idea! I never realized what a problem it was only to have UHT milk. I do have skim milk powder because I add that to the milk when I make yogurt, and it works out fine. I will try it with half and half and see if that works.

Thanks again for your response.
Barb