Author Topic: cheese harp pushing curds  (Read 1581 times)

Offline natbb

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
cheese harp pushing curds
« on: April 02, 2021, 12:16:10 AM »
Hi guys,
I recently made horizontal cheese harp, made 1/8" stainless rod and fishing line.  It was just under the diameter of the pot.  I thought, finally I will get some decent cuts to my whey!  However...... it tends to push the curd around and when I try to be more aggressive, swinging it back and forth, it fractures the curd.  Has anyone had any luck with one of these?  I am starting to feel like all my diy efficiency methods are failing at the moment!  Am still trying to get a curd stirrer to work as well!
Thanks
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 12:38:39 AM by natbb »

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
Re: cheese harp pushing curds
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 01:07:03 AM »
I had essentially the same problem with mine.... The best technique I found was to twist it quickly about 1/4 turn, using the mass of the curds (their inertia) to help with the cutting.... then when I got lined up with the centerline, to wiggle it as I slowly withdrew it.... However, it still shattered some of the curds.... I replaced it with a new curd cutter detailed in this thread....

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,19308.0.html

Having only a single cutting wire, and no outside frame (which tends to twist the curd mass), it works FAR better....

Bob
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

Offline Mornduk

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 19
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 09:53:43 PM »
I made my own harp like the one described inthis thread. Basically because I heat the milk in a hotel pan, not a round pot, so the shape had to fit.
I have not found any issue like you describe, except when I cut it by hand first to 1" or 2", then let it heal for 10+ minutes (~5 mins is ok). When that happens the curd skin is too tough for the fish wire to cut and it just pushes it around. I use 0.3mm stainless steel 7 strand nylon coated wire.

Offline natbb

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 11:34:24 PM »
Thanks for the help, looks like its back to the drawing board!