Author Topic: Rennet testing  (Read 2079 times)

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 20
  • Default personal text
Rennet testing
« on: April 02, 2021, 12:43:32 AM »
I apologize in advance as this has surely been addressed on this forum but I could not find the answer I am looking for.  I am very new to this.  I have tried three basic cheeses and just cannot seem to get a clean break.  I have tried three kinds of milk and am using rennet I just got from NE cheese Making.com. So I was looking for ways to test rennet.  I have found three different sites.  Each are essentially the same BUT the amount of rennet added to the 8oz of milk is different in each.  Two have 1/4 tsp in 1/2 cup water.  But One of those says 2tsp of the solution and another says 2TBSP.  Another says 1/4tsp rennet to 2TBSP water.. and you add that.  As you can see the amount of rennet in each test is quite different!   The first adding ~0.007tsp, the second 0.02 tsp and the lactone the entire 0.25 tsp.  Which is it?  Thanks!
Making cheese is easy, making a cheese is hard

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
Re: Rennet testing
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 11:40:25 AM »
Look at the label on the bottle that you got, My experience from that particular vendor is that they tend to be a bit more dilute than most. So, if it says - on the label! - to use 1/2 a teaspoon for two gallons of milk, I tend to use 3/8. Then, read about the flocculation method on this forum of how to calculate when to cut the curds.

Have fun!

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 12:59:30 PM »
Thank You.  I actually tried the test mentioned on the NE cheese making site on two different milks.  After 6 minutes, the milks were completely liquid.  Not set at all.  I'll try on one more milk I KNOW is gently pasteurized milk and see just to check again.  But one more question:  You say it tend to be dilute from that vendor, so if it says use 1/2 tsp you use 3/8.  But 3/8 is less than 1/'2.  If it's more dilute why would you use less?  Thanks!

Oh I have read about the flocculation method but I want to do this simple test first on small amounts of milk.  thanks again!

Offline Chetty

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 17
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 07:43:57 PM »
I got a bottle of rennet early this spring that froze during shipping, it failed the tests you refer to. 

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 12:15:38 AM »
Hmmm.. Interesting.   Thanks!

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 04:36:07 AM »
“Get Culture” has the test I use...
https://www.getculture.com/Coagulant-Test.html
Susan

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 11:04:37 AM »
That's great!  Thank You!

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2021, 02:41:42 PM »
Oops. That is what happens when you type fast and do not go back and look things over. I meant 3/4!! Not 3/8. My bad.