Author Topic: Time to clean break's effect on final product.  (Read 1400 times)

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 20
  • Default personal text
Time to clean break's effect on final product.
« on: April 02, 2021, 10:11:03 AM »
I just made a cheese.  It's a Bel Paese using Gavin Webber's instructions.  I allowed the rennet to work for 40 minutes and checked.  The milk was from from set.  So I checked in 30 more minutes.  Still off.  So I decided it was likely not going to set as I have not had good luck with this crucial step/. Anyway, I decided to check about three hours later and I actually had a clean break, although the curds did seem delicate.  Anyway, my question is this:  How does this longer time to set affect the final product? While waiting for a break, won't acidity in the milk increase over that time?  Thank You
Making cheese is easy, making a cheese is hard

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
Re: Time to clean break's effect on final product.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 03:18:34 PM »
As I understand it, the acidity will be greater.... we had the same problem on our first cheese, using 3.25% P/H milk.... Our Solution was to go to a blend of P/H milk and 18% Cream to get the BF content we wanted.... For example, 8 litres of 2 plus a litre of 18% gives us 9 litres of 3.8%.... Since doing that, our coagulation times are normal....

Bob
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 12:14:09 AM »
Fascinating!  So, you add heavy cream to 2% milk and your coagulation times have been within range?  Is the cream Ultra-pasteurized?  I ask because that's I see around here.   Do you think that is one reason raw milk works better (higher fat content).  Thanks!

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 02:10:44 AM »
Our milk and cream is not ultra-pasteurized.... I got the tip about using a mix from Ricki Caldwell's instruction book that came with her cheesemaking kit.... It worked for us!.... You can customize the BF content and Protein/Fat ratio for each cheese.... Here is a list of common ones....

https://www.uoguelph.ca/foodscience/book-page/standardization-milk-cheese-making

Bob
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 11:07:50 AM »
Awesome!  I am quite proficient in the kitchen but this Cheesemaking game is a whole new ball park!  I hope to one day  make cheese like those I see on this forum!  Thanks!