Author Topic: Robiolini: First cheese.  (Read 787 times)

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 20
  • Default personal text
Robiolini: First cheese.
« on: April 07, 2021, 09:58:45 PM »
OK. I am brand spanking new at this so I struggled through making the Robiolini from cheesemaking.com.  Trouble I had was a curd that was too soft.  Not being able to recognize a good break, not being as prepared as I should have been.  You know.. typical newbie things.

Anyway, I did manage to form some small cheeses. They are in my basement where the temp is 54-59 degrees.  I have them in plastic containers.  Dew collects on them which I wipe off.  7days later and they have developed some nice white fuzz and are starting to wrinkle from the Geotrichium Candidum. 

I did taste one today.  Early, I know but I was so curious.  I was shocked.  While I doubt this is what the recipe intended the cheese tastes so creamy and slightly sharp.  The mouth feel is amazing.  When I first molded the cheese I was sure it was going to be way too dry since I had trouble with the curd and all.  But, so far it's not.  Now I only took a very tiny sliver, so I don't know what lies deeper but if all the cheese tastes as that tiny piece, I will be quite happy. 

However, some of them smell like sour milk.  And they have these patches that are a bit slimy.  The color is darker than the cheese, like a dark cream color. 
I have taken them out and tried to wipe those patches and salt them.   Are my cheeses a loss?

ADDENDUM:  After perusing the forum I have come to the conclusion the patches I see are B Linens.   And advice on this mold?

« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 12:58:35 AM by bansidhe »
Making cheese is easy, making a cheese is hard