Author Topic: Garage Fridge  (Read 1631 times)

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 20
  • Default personal text
Garage Fridge
« on: April 11, 2021, 03:47:56 PM »
So, I bought an InkBird iTC-308 temperature controller and plugged my garage fridge into it.  Temp is set to 52.  Is that really all there is to it?  Those of you who have done something similar did you also get a humidity controller?  What do you do if you have two cheeses that have different humidity and/or temp requirements?   As and Aside, 50-52 degrees is ideal for keeping beer.  Do you also store beer in your "cheese" cave?
Making cheese is easy, making a cheese is hard

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
Re: Garage Fridge
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 05:11:53 PM »
I have an inkbird as well. I got the model with both temp AND humidity probes. And yes... it is that simple:

Plug the fridge's power cord into the Inkbird's power outlet. Program the desired temp (in my case I also put a humidifier in the fridge and plugged its power plug in the second slot). Let her run.

In the last few months that I've had them, the only maintenance I've had to perform has been to add water to the humidifier.

I am not a home brewer so there is no beer in my cheese cave. Sorry.

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 07:35:17 PM »
I'm not brewing currently,.. Just storing beer.  Generally speaking good beer does not need to be ice cold, in fact you don't it to be ice cold.  But I digress.
I have the humidity control as well but was wondering if I really need it.  How do you deal with cheeses that have different temp/humidity requirements?

Which humidifier do you use in your cheese cave?

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 09:39:38 PM »
Don't forget to put the probes inside the fridge....  ;)

If your garage gets colder than your programmed temperature, your fridge will never turn on, and the temperature will fall below what you programmed, of course.... It could even freeze....

Bob
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 09:55:58 PM »
Yeah, the issue with the garage fridge is it actually doesn't turn on if the temps get below 50.  So, things stay pretty warm in there in the winter.  In the winter, I can use our basement for a cheese cave because it will stay in the 50's.  But from now until Nov it's likely too warm.  I'll keep an eye on it though...  :-)