Author Topic: humidifier?  (Read 2131 times)

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 20
  • Default personal text
humidifier?
« on: April 12, 2021, 01:22:52 AM »
Those of you who use a humidity controller, which humidifier do you use?  I would like to get one for the fridge, so it should be small.  Are there any recommendations?
Making cheese is easy, making a cheese is hard

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
Re: humidifier?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 03:44:02 AM »
Part of the problem with using a fridge is that they are designed to LOWER the humidity, and have a fan that comes on during the cooling cycle.... I tried a small "misting" type humidifier, controlled by my "Inkbird" and could not get it to work properly.... I ended up blocking off about half the vent for the fridge fan and went back to simple jars of water in the door.... My humidity goes up and down with every fridge cycle between 50-90%.... averaging about 80%.... We wax or vacuum bag all our cheeses, so it isn't an issue.... Anything over 90% humidity and mold wants to take off....

Bob
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 11:14:45 AM »
I had a spare room humidifier from when my kids were still living in the house. The important points were:
1.  It had to fit inside the fridge
2.  It had to have a regular on/off switch (NOT a button that had to be depressed to turn it on as some of the newer ones do)
3.  A good sized reservoir (mine hold about half a gallon of water)

As Bob mentioned, fridges are designed to DE-humidify so you are basically battling things in two different directions. However, fridges also like to keep things much colder than 50-55 degrees, so that helps. The inkbird controller is a godsend.

My experience has been that I refill the humidifier about once a week and maintain my desired 90% humidity.

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 20
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 03:28:32 PM »
Was this a cool mist humidifier or hot?  I do have an old humidifier that would work but it creates warm steam...  I wasn't sure if that would create a battle  between cooling and humidifying
Making cheese is easy, making a cheese is hard