Author Topic: widely disseminated blue  (Read 1779 times)

Offline broombank

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 12
  • Default personal text
widely disseminated blue
« on: April 13, 2021, 07:19:26 PM »
I am trying to make a blue similar to the Hebridean produced by the eminent Mull creamery on the West coast of Scotland. This is one of the 'bluest' blues I know with  very intense flavour and a creamy slightly crumbly texture . There is blue mould  every few millimetres. I want to know how they do it. It certainly isn't done by puncture, neither is it full of holes. Could it be injected or put in at the salting /premolding stage? Has anyone any ideas?  I will use their cheese in the process instead of p rocqueforti.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 07:25:35 PM by broombank »

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 20
  • Default personal text
Re: widely disseminated blue
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 09:06:12 PM »
I really do not know and dont know enough about cheesemaking to venture an intelligent guess.  BUT I have made a vegan B lea cheese.. with that "cheese" to let it age until it was covered in blue, then I took it and crumbled it up and repacked it loosely..  The result was really blue..  AND BELIEVE IT OR NOT.. quite delicious.  :-)
Making cheese is easy, making a cheese is hard

Offline broombank

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 09:43:54 PM »
I really appreciate your reply but knowing the very traditional  methods adopted by the Mull Creamery I think your suggestion is very unlikely. I wish you luck in your cheese making!

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 10:18:22 PM »
Having just experienced this, I think I can give you a hint.  I was using Jim Wallace's Stilton recipe (based on a 1917 farmhouse Stilton) where there is a *very* small amount of starter culture and you salt at a pH of 5.5 (IIRC).  As I discovered, you want to have a *very* open curd because over time, the cheese slowly compacts, driving the air out under its own weight.  Even though there was enough structure that I was actually worried I wouldn't be able to smooth over the rind (as you do with a Stilton), I got almost no veining because the cheese collapsed later cutting off the oxygen :-)  The cheese was super creamy with lovely blue flavour -- unfortunately only a little bit of veining.  I will try again, though!

Recipe here: https://cheesemaking.com/products/stilton-cheese-making-recipe  BTW, if you are reading, Jim, awesome recipe.  Thanks!

Offline paulabob

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 02:09:30 PM »
I would still think they puncture.  I can't always see the holes after it's aged awhile.   Caveat:  have only made one blue, but I loved it.  NEC dolce gorgonzola, but turned out picante.

Offline broombank

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 03:12:48 PM »
I made it today and probably used far to much of the blue - blended with water. We will see ! The curd is quite well separated so should retain some oxygen. I will probably puncture it as suggested.

Offline zimmermannbp

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2022, 04:45:44 PM »
I am new to cheese making, but my guess is that the curds were craggie and did not compress, thus giving space for the oxygen and mold to follow.

Offline broombank

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2022, 05:08:36 PM »
yes I think you are right - Rocquefort makers use a little propionic shermanii to creat some gas pockets in which the blue mould will grow

Offline broombank

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2022, 05:09:19 PM »
enjoy your adventure in cheese making !

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2022, 04:55:08 AM »
I “think” stilton's are hooped at a very low ph  around  4.8 to 5 ph  thus the curd does not knit together very well , the slightly crumbly Leeds me to suspect low ph too . Maybe some one can suggest a culture to help with the creamy , buttery ???