Author Topic: Robiolini Update: Why would slip skin make me happy?  (Read 1342 times)

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 20
  • Default personal text
Robiolini Update: Why would slip skin make me happy?
« on: April 13, 2021, 11:47:47 PM »
OK..  about 2 1/2 weeks ago I made the RObiolini form cheesemaking.com.  Of course the whole process was a mess since I had no idea what I was looking for in terms of break, curd size, curd consistency, etc.  But I plugged along.  I did notice that two of the cheese smelled REALLY REALL bad.  I took them out, tried to air dry them and keep humidity down.  Anyway, I ate one of the stinky cheeses last weekend and, while not the intended cheese, still delicious.
So, today I took out the other stinky cheese.  Boy did it stink.  I felt it's wrinkly buddy and notice an area that seemed loose or detached.  I cut into that spot and saw a thin layer of creamy cheese, lie Camembert!  Sure the skin fell away at that area but it looked like Camembert!  So, I am quite thrilled.  I will try this cheese again, armed with a little more knowledge and am hopeful it will turn out better.  I still have two more of these cheeses in the fridge, They don't stink at all.  I will try one this weekend. I hope it has more of a Camembert consistency. Has anyone else made these robiolini?  If so, what is the cheese supposed to be like?
Making cheese is easy, making a cheese is hard

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
Re: Robiolini Update: Why would slip skin make me happy?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 12:26:27 AM »
As the yeasts and mold grow on the outside of the cheese, they convert some of the protein in the cheese to ammonia.  The ammonia soaks into the cheese.  Because ammonia is very basic, this raises the pH of the cheese near the rind (makes it *less* acidic).  This, in turn, makes the cheese runny.

It takes quite a long time for the ammonia to soak into the center of the cheese.  At the same time, the yeasts and molds growing on the outside of the rind continue to produce ammonia.  This is why the outside of the cheese gets very runny, while the center of the cheese is still solid.  If you produce ammonia fast enough, you will get "skin slip".  This means that you liquified the paste just below the rind so much that the rind will just slip off.

The key to making good bloomy rinds like a Robiola is to control the speed at which they mold on the outside is growing.  Normally, you will want to age it at higher temps (10 - 20 C, depending on what you are doing) until you get full coverage of the yeasts and/olds.  Then you move it to the normal fridge and continue to age it at 6 C.  This slows down the growth of the yeasts/mold, slows down the production of ammonia and allows time for the ammonia to move to the center of the cheese.  This lets the cheese have a consistent texture from the center to the outside.

Sometimes you *want* that difference in texture, though.  Some producers will intentionally age their bloomy rinds at higher temps so that you get a soft runny exterior with a solid core.  Remember that the ammonia increases the pH (lowers the acidity) of the paste.  So if you age it at higher temps, you will end up with a camembert like exterior with a nice tart, fresh cheese interior.  It just depends on what you want.

And, yes, some of that REALLY REALLY bad smell is ammonia.  But these yeasts and molds produce a *lot* of pretty bad smells.  "Farty broccoli" is how I usually describe some of my bloomy rinds.  If the humidity is too high, then b. linens will grow and you will get "sweaty gym socks" smell.  If that happens you really want to reduce the humidity.

But this all comes with experience.  Just make a lot of cheese and you will get the hang of it.  It's tempting to want all your cheeses (especially your first ones) to be perfect.  But patience will be rewarded.  Cheese making is a *deep* topic.  There is a lot to learn and quite of lot of *that* can really only be taught by experience.

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 20
  • Default personal text
Re: Robiolini Update: Why would slip skin make me happy?
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 01:50:38 AM »
Awesome advice!  I had been reading the same.   The really stinky cheese did smell like farty broccoli.. it was too smelly!  The cheese had a thin layer of soft, runny cheese the rest being firm, as you described.  Even though this was not what I wanted, I was thrilled by it because something happened that happens to people who make cheese... and that the cheese did have the potential to turn out ok even though my curds seemed to small and dry.  I cant wait to try it again armed with tidbits like the one you generously provided.  :-)

Making cheese is easy, making a cheese is hard