Author Topic: Arggghh! Added rennet too soon.  (Read 1241 times)

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 20
  • Default personal text
Arggghh! Added rennet too soon.
« on: April 15, 2021, 05:53:04 PM »
Ugh.  Today I started the Cabra Al Vino.  Since I don have a large pot I decided to halve the recipe.  That means I needed 1/4 a packet of Thermophilic and the other culture.  As it turns out each packet contains 5/16 of a tsp.  At least that was my measurement.  Anyway, everything seemed to be going fine.

I added the rennet and set a plastic container on top to check flocculation.  Well, After 15 minute the darn thing was still spinning.  Then I realized I added the rennet as soon as I stirred in the culture instead of waiting.  I kicked myself real hard for that.  i'm still going to see what happens after the culture has worked for an hour.  I am hoping since there is some rennet in the Chèvre I used and I added about 1/8 a tsp of rennet that maybe after the hour things might be ok. 

But all I can say is "crap"!  I was being so good.. There were way too many distractions in the household but I cant kick everyone out every time I want to make cheese.
Making cheese is easy, making a cheese is hard

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
Re: Arggghh! Added rennet too soon.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 06:05:25 PM »
The first cheese we made, it took 2.5 hrs. to reach a clean break.... We still are not really sure why, but the cheese turned out fine....

Certainly a Floc. time of 30 min. will still work, I think.... Good Luck !!!!

Bob
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!