Author Topic: Curd mass fracture  (Read 1867 times)

Offline Zapacat

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Default personal text
Curd mass fracture
« on: April 15, 2021, 08:16:21 PM »
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what causes the curd mass to fracture/develop large fissures during renneting? I've had 2 instances now, both time making Danbo's butterkase,  of taking the lid off to cut the curd at the time flocculation point/multiplier indicated and the curd mass has large fissures in it. The mass is harder to cut than say when I make feta and as I cut the curd I can see milky particles coming out into the whey (although maybe that's just a function of the higher cream content).

I have made his recipe twice before without this particular happening.

background: raw milk, my own Jersey cow, later in lactation. - last time she was mid lactation
recipe: 16L whole milk (lots of cream in her milk right now)
heat to 39C
1/4 rounded tsp TA60 - last make that it did this I'd used Thermo B
1/8 scant tsp LH100
ripen 50 mins
rennet 3 mls 200 IMCU flocc a little short at 10.75 mins, flocculation multiplier 3.5 - Ive also used 2.5mls (flocc was 11 mins) and same fractures appeared
renneting total time 37 mins

I had to bail on my last batch because the pH never dropped (assumed bad culture) so I dont know what would have happened had I proceeded.

I decided Id better take a picture after I started cutting so to the right are cuts through a fracture and then more fissures more center and below.

Thanks for any science as to why this happens.
Teresa

« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 12:04:42 AM by Zapacat »

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Re: Curd mass fracture
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 11:50:48 PM »
That temperature (102.2° F) seems much too warm for culturing and renneting. My guess is that the curd is developing quite a bit of acidity by then, and the pH drop plus too-warm temp is causing extreme coagulation (enough to split the curd mass).
It also sounds like the milk would benefit from the addition of calcium chloride (late lactation milk definitely needs it). 
Can you post the recipe?

I would try 32-33° C (90° F).

Offline Zapacat

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 12:03:12 AM »
Thanks, Bantams,

Ill add calcium chloride to my regime again.

Here is a link to the page where Danbo posted his recipe: http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,16092.msg124359.html#msg124359 its in an attachment in the first post.

My pH meter is at the lab - they are looking at it for me to see if it matches with their fancy instruments - so I cant measure pH right now. I just followed his recipe.

Cheers,
teresa

Offline Zapacat

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 02:02:55 AM »
I just checked 200 recipes and she also says 39C.  ???

Teresa