Author Topic: Oh My gosh, I have curds!  (Read 1486 times)

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 20
  • Default personal text
Oh My gosh, I have curds!
« on: April 15, 2021, 11:34:18 PM »
So, today I tried to make the Cabra Al Vino from Cheesemaking.com.  The stars were not aligned.  First, I didn't;t have the buttermilk culture but did use some chèvre and some thermophilic culture.  Since I was using 1gallion raw goat and 1/2 gallons of pasteurized Cow milk, I still added the 1/8 tsp of rennet.
But alas, I added it right after I stirred in the culture instead of allowing 1 hour for the culture to grow and acidify.  I tried the flocculation method but the darn bowl just spun and spun and spun even after 20minutes.  I thought about this and thought that the amount of culture (1/4 a package of chèvre and 1/8 tsp of rennet for 1.5 gallons of milk wasn't a lot, really....). So, I waited one hour.  No, set.  90minutes.  No set. But at 90minutes I made a series of cuts in one direction.  I figured, since I had already deviated significantly from the recipe I';d see where all of this took me.  I let sit for another hour.  Mostly because I forgot about it.  When I went back it was good to go. I cut in the other direction and put in my spoon and gently moved the curds to see beautiful , glistening cubes emerge.  W00t!  So, I turned up the heat on the water batch to try and get it gently up to 105 degrees..  Of course, I missed the mark and it went to 110.  All the while I stirred, broke up with a whisk and watched for about 10minutes.  These curds felt great.  :-). Here's a pic. Now I realize that may seem like a trivial to most but with each of these fiascos I am gathering information.  :-). Anyway. I have the cheese pressed under 8 pound of weight... My question is... What should I do with this now?  Which aging , given the cultures and process would be best for this ?   I'd like to soak it in wine but would that still be ok?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 04:36:25 PM by bansidhe »
Making cheese is easy, making a cheese is hard

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
Re: Oh My gosh, I have curds!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 11:42:23 PM »
Glad you saved it.... If your curds seem normal, you can probably follow the rest of the recipe.... Does it say anything about the consistency or taste of the curds before hooping?.... For most of our hard or semi-hard cheeses the whey is sweet when it goes into the mould, and tart when it's finished pressing....

Bob
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 11:52:56 PM »
Definitely sweet whey going in.... I'll check the taste at the end of the press.  The curds were to feel pretty solid, I think, Having some resistance. Since I am not exactly sure what that feels like, I would say mine felt a little bit softer.  I'll definitely post some more about this.  And I will try this cheese the right way so I can compare the results

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 01:10:45 AM »
I am doing a "grip test" with virtually every cheese I make now.... Sometime you don't want the curds very firm, other times you want them quite "springy".... so by doing a grip test before I drain, on every cheese, I am beginning to understand what they "should" feel like for different types of cheese.... Most commonly, the grip test tells you to squeeze a small quantity of curds in your hand, to see if they go to mush (rarely required) or if they compact into a mass (usually the case).... Then you tease the compressed ball of curds apart with your thumb, to see if they don't want to part, come apart somewhat easily, or just fall apart as soon as you touch them (different requirements for each type of cheese)....

The other curd test (besides taste) is to pick up a single, medium sized curd and gently squeeze it between thumb and forefinger.... After a bit of experience, you will find out that they can offer little (or no) resistance, feel a bit springy (soft, but return mostly to shape), are very springy (quite dry), or downright firm (you would think they could bounce).... These tests (along with taste) give you a lot of information about the pH and moisture level.... Which is correct for the cheese you are making comes with experience.... a LOT more experience than I currently have.... but I'm getting there....  8)

The "feel" of the curds gives you a very good indication if you are ready to drain and mould or not.... If they are too mushy (for the type of cheese you are making - there's the rub).... then you usually have to cook them longer.... Even 5 minutes can make quite a difference.... Read all the recipes you can for the type of cheese you are making.... at least some of them will probably describe what you should have when you do a grip test.... If you haven't found Peter Dixon's recipes yet, bookmark this website.... https://dairyfoodsconsulting.com/resources-1 .... They are for 100 lbs. (12 gal.) of milk, but the temperature, culture, floc. multiple, cooking time and grip test information is invaluable....

Bob
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 01:16:15 AM by rsterne »
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 02:27:18 AM »
Fantastic! All great tips.  My curds weren't mush that's for sure... But not super dry either.  Im still pressing and draining and the mass feels pretty wet still. I am trying to keep temp around 75-80 but that's been hard to do.  The whey isn't tangy yet. I fear it may have been too cool. though I did have it pretty warm for awhile...  This is really a fascinating "hobby", I can see myself becoming obsessed