Author Topic: stabilized paste Pc growth differences  (Read 1300 times)

Offline lrunyenj

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
    • Laura Runyen-Janecky's web site
stabilized paste Pc growth differences
« on: April 16, 2021, 12:34:09 PM »
I made up a batch of rennet set bloomy cheeses from 1 gallon milk.  I used Pc HP6 (0.1g) and Geo15 (0.032g) in the inoculum with FD (0.07g).  I have a 4x4 inch open mold.  About 2/3 of curd when in that and then 1/3 of curd in another 4 inch non-open bottom mold.  After flipping and draining ~24 hours (pH = 4.85 large cheese and 4.8 small cheese), larger cheese was ~500 g and so I added 10g flask salt.  Smaller cheese was 235 g and I added 4.7 g (but spilled a bit half way through and so this is an estimate because I had to add some salt to make up for split).

After the 2 week ripening at ~12C in cheese boxes (2 different boxes), I have drastically different results.   Small cheese has nice Pc growth.   Large cheese does not and is softening significantly at the edges.    I wrapped small and moved to ~4C fridge.  I left large for 2 more days and there is not much additional Pc growth.  Should I move large to 4C or keep at ~12C?

Any advice would be appreciated?

PS  small is 4 x 1 inch and large is 4 x ~2.5 inch

Offline lrunyenj

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
    • Laura Runyen-Janecky's web site
Re: stabilized paste Pc growth differences
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 12:35:29 PM »
PS  in case it is not obvious from photo names, first photo is of small cheese and all other photos are of large cheese