Author Topic: Fogger as humidifier?  (Read 2156 times)

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 20
  • Default personal text
Fogger as humidifier?
« on: April 17, 2021, 01:30:01 AM »
I was wondering if one could use this placed in a container of water:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XL1V2HG/ref=as_li_ss_tl?pf_rd_r=KXZDRPG8MH3H37H93STQ&pf_rd_p=6fc81c8c-2a38-41c6-a68a-f78c79e7253f&linkCode=sl1&tag=oakandspore0e-20&linkId=b80298ec8ec614a815d7e8ba07c5e2e2&language=en_US

As a humidifier.  Of course, Id have it combined with a unity controller like Inkbird.  It seems to me it would work.

Thoughts?
Making cheese is easy, making a cheese is hard

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
Re: Fogger as humidifier?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 02:46:05 AM »
I tried one.... They splatter a lot, spraying water around.... and if you have too much depth of water, they don't work properly.... I ended up putting mine in one corner of a plastic box, with a hole in the lid in the other corner, to avoid getting water all over the place.... Once I did that, it didn't increase the humidity fast enough, IMO.... I was still getting a big drop in humidity when the fan in the fridge was running....

I use a Inkbird dual controller, and to be honest I have just as much success with three dishes of water in the door of my bar fridge.... However, since we have given up on natural rinds anyways, and either wax or vacuum bag all our cheeses.... I don't think we need to worry about the humidity very much.... It averages about 80%....

Bob
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 10:53:15 AM »
I have an inkbird but the humidifier I got turns off once the InkBird turns it off.  So it never turns back on.  :-(. I saw a fix for the fogger, if you put it in a box and cut two holes in the lid, one for output the other for a small fan to pull air into the container, then it should work.  I might try that.  But you need a tiny fan.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksNPIaDfJ3k.  :-)

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 03:31:23 PM »
I was going to get a USB fan, but abandoned it because we decided not to do any natural rinds, and was or vacuum bag everything....

Bob
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 03:37:48 PM »
I am going to try a Vick's cool steam humidifier.

Offline Mornduk

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 19
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 12:07:20 AM »
I was wondering if one could use this placed in a container of water:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XL1V2HG/ref=as_li_ss_tl?pf_rd_r=KXZDRPG8MH3H37H93STQ&pf_rd_p=6fc81c8c-2a38-41c6-a68a-f78c79e7253f&linkCode=sl1&tag=oakandspore0e-20&linkId=b80298ec8ec614a815d7e8ba07c5e2e2&language=en_US

As a humidifier.  Of course, Id have it combined with a unity controller like Inkbird.  It seems to me it would work.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't do it.

I have a typical humidifier, and I purchased EXACTLY that fogger about nine months ago for my second cheese cave because it would use less space so more room for cheese...

Initially it looked great, it had no issues getting humidity up really fast and switching on and off as frequently as it was needed without too much humidity intertia.

Then after a few weeks I saw that it was very detrimental to the cheeses... the fog it creates has large water droplets that immediately condense over any surface within the cave, so most things I had there were mildly covered in dew, and molds were having the time of their lives.

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 02:11:39 AM »
Thanks for the info!  I will avoid that fogger!