Author Topic: Robiolini Take II  (Read 1739 times)

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 20
  • Default personal text
Robiolini Take II
« on: April 18, 2021, 09:14:16 PM »
OK.. Armed with a little bit more knowledge and advice , I have tried to make the Robiolini again.  This time I used 1 gallon raw grass fed cow milk and one gallon whole gently pasteurized milk.  I believe the last time I used milk from a local dairy that was also gently pasteurized.  This time I added a touch more rennet,  the recipe calls for 1/4 tsp for two gallons of milk. Since I had half raw milk , I used 1/4tsp + 1/8 tsp instead of 1/2 tsp which I had planned on using based on the last time.. ( The last time after two hours my curds were still quite fragile, and no really clean break).    Now I tried the floc test but I really didn't have any good plastic container, I used the lid to a sour cream container but it warped when I put it in hot water.  I did notice that the lid didn't really spin after 10minutes, however because it was a lid, I couldn't get a good grip on it to spin.  So I decide to test for break after 80 minutes (vs 90 in the recipe).  Well, I had a clean break. Here are the pics. Instead of stirring initially I wiggled the pot side to side as was suggested by rsterne (Bob).  I think that really did the trick.  No I worry that perhaps I let the curds sit too long.
Making cheese is easy, making a cheese is hard

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
Re: Robiolini Take II
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 05:38:22 AM »
Just as a point of reference, that is a *very* firm curd.  It's more firm than any cheese I have ever done.

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 10:02:07 AM »
Hmmmmmm....    Interesting.   As I said the last time I tried this I waited over 2 hours and it was extremely fragile.  I really don't know what to look for.  All I know is last time, when I did the "stir" the curds got very small and didn't look like the pictures.  This time it did look more similar and the whey wasn't clear but a little milky.  SO, do you think the cheese will be rubbery?  I guess, it will be back to the drawing board.  Sad.  I was so hopeful.

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 11:39:59 AM »
No, I think it will be fine.  You worry too much :-)  I'm just giving you a data point to tell you that you don't need/want your curds to be that firm for when you cut them.  Curds at the beginning are always very fragile and they will shatter if you aren't careful with them.  As they cook, they firm up and at some point (usually around 20 minutes of cooking in for me), they are pretty robust.  If you are using raw milk, they tend to be firmer, but they are still fragile.  If you are using homogenised milk... they shatter if you look at them funny (still haven't made what I would consider a good hard cheese with homogenised milk...).

But when you cut, you should wait between 5-10 minutes after cutting for the curds to heal.  Then when you stir, you shouldn't go round and round.  Instead, just take a slotted spoon and slowly lift the curds from the bottom of the pot to the top.  Cut any curds that are too big.  Spend a good 2-3 seconds doing that.   Then do it again in another place.  If they are shattering, then give them a minute to heal some more and try again.  All you want to do at the beginning is to move the curds very slowly and stop them from matting together.  Later you will stir more vigorously to get them to expel whey.

It just depends on the milk, though.  With raw milk it seems you can be quite vigorous at the beginning (I've never had a chance to use it), but with pasteurised milk, you have to be careful.  With homogenised milk, you practically have to stir it once ever 2 minutes or so... it's very annoying. 

But like I said, don't worry about it.  Cheese making is very, very deep.  You won't make the best possible cheese right away.  Even a couple of hundred cheeses in, you'll probably be puzzling things out.  Enjoy the journey, not the destination :-)

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 01:19:34 PM »
Love your reply!  Thanks!  And you are right, I worry too much!  ;-)

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 03:28:16 PM »
I'm not sure that one can look at a photo and determine the true consistency of the curds.
Those curds look exactly like every batch of camembert I've ever made (several hundred) so to me they look just right for a soft ripened rennet set curd.
There is quite a difference in using raw milk or milk that is low-temp pasteurized just before use, and store-bought pasteurized milk. 

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 04:27:41 PM »
W00t!  I cant wait to see how this cheese turns out!