Author Topic: Terra Cotta for humidity?  (Read 1735 times)

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 20
  • Default personal text
Terra Cotta for humidity?
« on: April 20, 2021, 01:25:58 PM »
Hey...  after seeing a site selling clay bricks for 15 bucks...  I though.. perhaps a clay pot with water, or a soaked brick would be the solution for humidity control in my cheese cave.  Has anyone tried such thing?
Making cheese is easy, making a cheese is hard

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
Re: Terra Cotta for humidity?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 04:15:32 PM »
I haven't tried it yet, but "wicks" used for humidifiers are supposed to work well....

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000E1385Y/?coliid=I1SQX8P9NAPSUI&colid=1OSNK8DHMX65J&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

You used to be able to buy a "Cave Cube", which was a box with a fan on top, one of those on each side, standing in water.... I understand they were perfect for use in a small fridge....

https://perfect-cheese-com.webs.com/humidifier-for-small-caves

Bob
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 07:51:59 PM »
Apparently they are not selling cave cubes and more.  Sad.  But check this out.  Today I got a Vick's Cool Mist EVAPORATIVE humidifier.  Not only does it have a mechanical switch BUT it does NOT put out a jet of steam, so water droplets don't seem to be condensing on anything.   I watched it get the fridge up to the desired 85% level in just a few minutes after the cooling had dropped it.  I'm pretty stoked about that.  Plus it has a filter.. which I hope will keep nasties out of the moisture.  :-). What do you think?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 10:50:25 PM by bansidhe »

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 10:34:35 PM »
It will be interesting to see how constant it keeps the humidity.... I posted a graph in the other thread showing what happens over a cycle in my cave, it drops a lot during the cooling/dehumidifying stage, but recovers to nearly 90% before the next cycle.... If yours recovers faster, and/or doesn't drop as far, I think that is all you need....

Bob
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 10:51:22 PM »
Yes, I will have to time this.  I'll just grab a beer, prop my feet up and watch the InkBird displays.  Yes, this is the excitement that is my life.