Author Topic: Pressing Cheddar  (Read 3254 times)

Offline Swiney

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
Pressing Cheddar
« on: April 21, 2021, 11:58:54 PM »
Hello all
I am very green in cheese making and watched and carefully followed Lisa of Cheese 52 on you tube's instructions
for cheddar
I've watched Gavin Webber as well
My cheese didn't knit properly for the second time.
I'm not giving up but the different amount of weights and pressure confuse me.
They both use 50lbs weight max not psi
and some of the people here use nearly 4 times that for final pressing
how are they getting it to look like they do with so much less weight if others need more?
what might i be doing wrong?
sorry if this is a dumb question.
again very green but enjoying the process

Online mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
Re: Pressing Cheddar
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 12:57:49 AM »
Pressing a cheddar is difficult.  It's one of the most difficult cheese to press.  Commercial producers will literally use tonnes of weight on it.  A couple of things to keep in mind:

• The ease with which the curds will knit is a function of pH, moisture level and temperature -- in that order.  Cheddar is difficult because you are pressing at a pH of 5.3 and a set moisture level.  Your only variable is temperature.  So make sure that the temperature is realtively high.
  • The amount of weight you need depends on the surface area of your cheese.  If your cheese is 10 cm (4 inches) in diameter, the surface area is 79 cm2 (12.5 in2).  If your cheese is 16 cm (6 inches) in diameter, the surface area is 201 cm2 (28 in2).  To get the same pressure (kg/cm2 or psi) you need more than twice the weight for only a 60% increase in diameter.

A standard pressure for cheddar is 8 psi.  If you have a 6 inch diameter cheese, that means 8 x 28 = 224 lbs.  So, yes, 50 lbs is generally not enough. 

So how does Gavin get away with 50 lbs?  He doesn't cheddar long enough, basically.  You can see that in his videos.  Does that *really* matter?  Probably not.  If you finish up at a pH of 5.4 instead of 5.3, it's going to make it easier to knit the curds and your cheddar won't be quite as sharp as it could be.  Do you care?  Maybe, maybe not.  Lot's of Gavin's cheeses are not particularly authentic.  He seems to be happy making yummy cheese and not worrying too much about the details.  I think that's the charm of his videos.

My advice would be to make smaller cheeses, though.  Make something in the 500 gram / 1 lb size.  Especially if you are vacuum packing it's not going to make much difference in terms of aging and you're going to be able to press it better.  Again, keep the temperature up in pressing.  I'm not entirely sure what temp is best.  At 27 C, the fat in the milk starts to break down.  Of course, you've been cheddaring above that temp for several hours, so maybe that doesn't matter.  Not sure.  I haven't done a side by side.  But my thinking is that keeping it at 36 C (97 F) for the first hour or two of pressing won't hurt and will definitely help you close the rind.

You can also play with the moisture level and pH.  Slightly larger curds, less cooking, cut the cheddering back just a bit.  All of those will help close the rind at the expense of the texture of the cheese and potentially reducing the total amount that you can age it.  If you were thinking of only aging it 6 months, for example, I wouldn't hesitate to up the moisture content a bit, or reduce the acidity just a tad.

I think, above all, don't be afraid to experiment.  Make a lot of cheese.  Usually it takes me at least 5 tries of a style of cheese before I'm happy with the result (I'm *much* more picky than Gavin ;-) ).  If you go into it with the idea that you're going to be making 5-10 cheddars, you can sacrifice the first 3-4 experimenting with different techniques.  Remember that yummy, yummy cheese curds are simply made from cheddar that isn't pressed.  You can eat those cheddars the next day and they will be *awesome*.  You can age them out 1 week, 3 weeks, 5 weeks and eat them.  They will be *awesome*.  Where you run into trouble is when you make a single cheese and try to age it out 18 months.  The feedback loop on your learning is too long.  You'll be old and grey before you make a good cheese ;-)

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 29
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 06:39:19 PM »
What a great explaination. I have only one thing to add. If you want to press with over 500 lbs, look at the sturdypress diy plans on this forum.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 09:50:53 PM »
There is a lot of very useful information here and the pressing is something that I can attest to as being difficult. There is a fine balance between the moisture and pH at the time of pressing; remembering that the the cheese will increase the acidity during pressing so actually starting the press at warmer temperature and higher pH would be help.

The pressing weight I use is quite high finishing at 85 kg (187lbs) at and could be higher but I’m not sure the plastic moulds and followers will take the pressure. Even at 85kg the cheese is still not one homogeneous mass like the commercial cheese. But I don’t mind that so much. I’m planning a Cheddar in the coming weeks so I’ll see if I can’t increase it to 100 Kg.

The other point here that retards the knitting process and that is salt. I find the 2% by weight is more than enough but you have to weigh the curd mass - after cheddaring - too much salt and it sets up a barrier of salt in the curd wall and also extracts too much moisture from the curds and affecting the overall pH. Ref. Technology of cheese making.

It’s a complicated dance routine we have going on here. And be prepared to right a whole bunch of notes and sacrifice a couple of cheeses to verify press weights - 8 psi is

@smolt1 - ah my friend glad to see you still on the forum!

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline Swiney

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 06:55:35 PM »
Thank you guys for taking the time to explain so much.
I have my work cut out it seems
I'm enjoying it regardless of the errors! :)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 10:07:11 PM »
It’s not really errors, it’s more like lack of information. Some of this explanations here are dependant upon prior knowledge and experience. The forum posts here are on the whole very consistent and caring of course on the author’s experience and ability to describe what they are doing. As an example on why sometimes my explanations are very verbose I was given an assignment once to explain how to boil an egg and you’ll see what I mean.
1. Place an egg in a saucepan
2. Boil to desired done state. Soft med or hard.
3. Remove shell and eat
Will this boil an egg? Sure.... but what if you want two done to different stages... are you at sea level....how big are your eggs... what species of animal laid the egg... it the egg fresh and how would you know?

Most cheese making recipes are the same and don’t go anywhere near the level of detail required. Even the ubiquitous yootoob only gets you so far. The cheese forum is a wonderful collection of shared experiences. Add yours to the cheesaverse.
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !