Author Topic: 7" bucket for pressed cheeses  (Read 2126 times)

Offline DiamondDaveMg

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Jack of all trades....
7" bucket for pressed cheeses
« on: April 22, 2021, 03:43:27 PM »
I made a sturdy form for pressed cheeses from a new 1 gallon bucket from the paint aisle at the local Ace hardware.  The bucket has an inner diameter of approx 7-1/2" and a height of 7-1/4"

I printed up a grid pattern and affixed it to the bucket with spray tac, but tape would have worked too.  I used an awl to press a small mark in each center and then removed the paper.

I used a variable temp wood burnishing tool because I didn't want to burn the plastic or melt it too quickly.  I used it a on low setting of 215 degree Celsius and that gave nice, clean holes.  There were no detectable fumes or smoke, but I had a desk fan directed at the work space for added precaution as fumes from plastic can be unhealthy.

I'll be using this for a 4 gallon recipe

« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 04:08:21 PM by DiamondDaveMg »

Offline paulabob

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 12
Re: 7" bucket for pressed cheeses
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 09:55:32 PM »
Looks quite well done!

Offline DiamondDaveMg

• Medium Cheese
  • Jack of all trades....
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 10:31:54 PM »
Looks quite well done!

Thanks - but now that I've done some volume calcs I think I'll need more than 4 gallons to use this properly, more like 6+ gallons!

Offline paulabob

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 12
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 11:54:53 PM »
Might be a challenge if you were to press.  The wider the surface area, the more pressure required. 

Offline Lancer99

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 44
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 05:37:16 AM »
Very nice. Mine are more random :)

What do you plan to use as a follower?  The biggest problem I've found when pressing in tapered molds is that often at first it's too small, then too large.

-L

Offline DiamondDaveMg

• Medium Cheese
  • Jack of all trades....
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2021, 10:32:03 AM »
Very nice. Mine are more random :)

What do you plan to use as a follower?  The biggest problem I've found when pressing in tapered molds is that often at first it's too small, then too large.

-L

I have a circle cutting jig for my bandsaw and cut a follower from a thick plastic cutting board.  The follower just barely fits the bottom and therefore when at the very top there'd be about a 1/2" gap around it.  Flipping the chess a few times before the final press will help with the edge, but I'll always have a lip to trim off the final loaf.

Since the follower will never be at the absolute bottom of the forms, since there will always be some number of inches of cheese below it, I may cut another follower to fit 3 inches up.  That would reduce the lip to about 1/4".

Offline Lancer99

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 44
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 07:01:30 AM »
I tried almost the same (twice) but could never get the screw tight enough on my jigsaw, despite using pliers, and just ended up with plastic spirals. :). :(

So I went with wood, much easier, and wrapped in plastic wrap during pressing, just in case.  It never got close to the bottom.  And like you, I just trimmed off the lip.  A nice early snack!

-L