Author Topic: to brie or not to brie  (Read 1666 times)

Mrtatai83

to brie or not to brie
« on: April 22, 2021, 05:53:49 PM »
Hello everyone,
I am posting here my first attempt at making a "real" cheese at home.
I recently got caught up in this game and since I'm impatient I couldn't wait (impatient) to receive ferments, stamens, mussels and whatever is needed to get it right. So I'm still not sure whether this attempt succeeds or whether it gives a brie.

I started from:
4 Liters of whole store milk 3.8%.
A box of candies as a mold.
rennet bought in pharmacies (3 to 4 drops per liter).
as a culture, I took a leftover brie from the fridge (about 20g) which I mixed in a little whey that I had left from a previous recipe and which I let ferment at room temperature (23 ° C) ) for a few hours.
I heat my milk to 32 °, put my starter, mix for 2 minutes, and let stand for 40 minutes.
put my rennet (16 drops), mix gently and leave again for 40 minutes.
And it is from there that everything to switch.
My curd was really not firm enough (knife test). I therefore waited another 10 minutes, then 1 hour, then all night, putting the cauldron in my oven, to keep the heat better.
the next day 5am, my curd was better but not top top, so I put a cheesecloth in my mold, and I squinted my curd in it.
of course, it did not drain quickly as you would expect for a brie or a camembert, so I pressed a little with 2 kilos for a few hours, I did not note the duration and when it was enough firm to keep in shape, I turned it over and put it back under 2 kilos for a few more hours.
the next day, he had lost enough water to keep the shape, I remove the cotton and leave in the mold, salting one side and the heel with a teaspoon of salt and kept under a bell at room temperature.
turned over in the evening and salting the second side.
D3 appearance of a small down on the heel, turned over and put back under a cover, in the evening the upper face was all white with down, turned over and put back under a cover.
D4 there is a nice white down all over the cheese. I put it in a cooler to try to have a lower temperature on a small sushi mat I keep between 15 and 19 ° C.
Following mikekchar's advice on my presentation post; I'm going to wrap it up and put it in the fridge (even if it's not really a brie and it didn't have all these details :)).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GZWYQxdbdStKfuVT8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/q6QKRLUSh85FVjJj8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zkrwfvbYWCJYypda8
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 05:04:43 PM by Mrtatai83 »

Mrtatai83

Re: to brie or not to brie
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 09:18:55 AM »
I answer myself :(.
my cheese is now in a fridge that I manage to regulate at 10 ° C. It is still very firm to the touch and it is starting to have a very slight odor of feet :). I would take a photo at the first cut.
a friend joined him there, I made a Toma Ossolano by following the recipe from cheesemaking.com.

Mrtatai83

Re: to brie or not to brie
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 10:41:29 AM »
What had to happen happened, probably the impatience of the beginners !!
So I cut my brie today.

I was quite worried considering the way I started this cheese, that's kind of why I opened it, history to see what was going on under the rind.

He begins to smell like cheese well made (a good cheese that stinks :)).
there is a little liquid paste under the flower, but it does not flow, it is just well done. The heart is still very firm and quite buttery. And the taste is really great, but it doesn't taste like brie !!!!
We are really very close to a cheese like Saint Félicien :)
Anyway, everyone loves !!
I cut it in 2, a piece that we will eat right away, and the other half, I will let it ripen longer to see what happens :)