Author Topic: Stinky Robiolini  (Read 1484 times)

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 20
  • Default personal text
Stinky Robiolini
« on: April 24, 2021, 12:58:08 AM »
SO, this is my first cheese. I totally botched the recipe. It stinks to high heaven But I do like the resulting cheese. It has a thin layer of soft camembert like cheese and then a firmer center. The taste and texture combination is pleasing. Last weekend I attempted a second bath of robliolini. I think I did a better job this time and am curious what the result will be like.
Making cheese is easy, making a cheese is hard

Offline Chris.n.Goats

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
Re: Stinky Robiolini
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 02:27:33 AM »
Looks very tasty- to bad about the smell

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 11:21:26 AM »
I think B Linens is the culprit.  But I dont know for sure.  I do know that it's cheese and it tastes good.  :-)

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 01:06:46 PM »
Just based on the pictures,  I think it is unlikely.  I can't remember what you said it smelled like.  Geotrichum can be *very* stinky, though.  It can go through phases of shimeji mushrooms, and farty broccoli.  It's not as strong as b. linens, which smells like gym socks, but my wife complains about it every time I take out my cheeses to flip :-)  You would notice b. linens as well -- the pretty white geotrichum on those cheeses would be going orange/pink.  It's not always easy to see at first, but it's not usually particularly bad smelling (from b. linens) before the point where it is obviously turning orange/pink.

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 08:44:08 PM »
Yeah, you may be right.  I know some of the cheese got tiny much earlier than this one, and I thought I saw slimy cream colored spots..
Maybe that is the geo.  Maybe I should ask the guys at Cheesemaking.com if that cheese is supposed to get stinky.  :-)