Author Topic: Squeaky Cultured Mozz  (Read 1788 times)

G.Nat

Squeaky Cultured Mozz
« on: April 25, 2021, 05:52:52 PM »
Hi All,

When I make fresh, cultured mozzarella, the cheese after stretching is always squeaky. This happens after very few stretches and even on test stretches from a single curd that is only stretched lengthwise a single time (so I don't think it is due to over stretching). Anyone have ideas on what is causing the squeak and if there are ways to avoid it?

Thanks!

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
Re: Squeaky Cultured Mozz
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 12:47:48 AM »
Apparently squeaky cheese happens as a result of very, very small bubbles of gas in the cheese that cause the cheese to be textured as you bit into it.  Instead of being flat and smoothly sliding along your teeth, it is rough and kind of shudders as it moves.  This is what causes the noise.  I can't remember where I saw that explanation, so please take it with a grain of salt.

My interpretation of that is that you probably aren't stretching the curds enough.  Mozzarella and cheddar are actually made in a pretty similar way up until you stretch the mozzarella.  As you rest the mozzarella before stretching, it's similar to the cheddaring process.  The cheese flows while the pH is still high enough to do so and it slowly elongates the proteins.  Here's a picture of Gianaclis Caldwell making cheese curds:

You can see how the curd forms those layers (which is incidentally one of the goals you are striving towards when you are cheddaring).  My understanding is that it's those layers that you bite through that cause the squeak.

With your mozzarella, I think it's likely that you haven't hit the optimum pH to stretch and therefore it hasn't stretched out enough to smooth out those striations.  The best video I've seen for showing how to develop the curd is actually a commercial burratta producer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrH0mKciUKI  When I've made mozzarella, I tend to stretch a bit too soon.  That video really helped me understand what I'm trying to achieve.

But... good mozzarella is super tricky :-)  I think it's the type of cheese you could make 100 times and still find lots of ways to improve.

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 03:06:08 PM »
Super fresh cheese squeaks because the protein strands and calcium rub against the enamel of your teeth. After a few hours the calcium breaks down somewhat and the squeak should go away.

Offline Chetty

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 17
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 05:29:02 PM »
"Super fresh cheese squeaks because the protein strands and calcium rub against the enamel of your teeth. After a few hours the calcium breaks down somewhat and the squeak should go away." 

I agree, that's what I learned from a class at the local college dairy

G.Nat

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 08:49:27 PM »
Thanks, All--this is very helpful!