Author Topic: Home-dried pork tenderloin, first try  (Read 4934 times)

Mrtatai83

Home-dried pork tenderloin, first try
« on: May 01, 2021, 08:01:08 AM »
When I was a kid, my parents made their cured pork every year, but that was 40 years ago. This year, with my brother, we have decided to go back to it. For the moment, we are content with small parts that can be easily dried in the fridge.
I prepared 2 for this first attempt, one dry salted and the other vacuum marinated.
the first spent 12 hours in salt, then 1 hour in fresh water to remove the excess salt, dried, massaged with a mixture of pepper, Provencal herbs and parpika. Wrapped in a clean, tight kitchen towel, I used rubber bands, more practical than kitchen string if you want to open the package to check.
(beware of detergents or softeners used for washing !!).
then it remained 18 days in the bottom of my fridge, turned over every day and I changed the tea towel once, which was too wet in places.
Normally you have to weigh and wait for a weight loss of about 30%, but I did that to the touch, it was very firm and had reduced well, so it ended up under the knife of the last aperitif and it was excellent: )

its little brother is still drying after 7 days of marinating it is still too wet, but it should not be very long :)
very modest experience, when I see the cold cuts of some members of the forum, but things should get better by the end of the year if we manage to settle down as planned in order to be able to work the meat cleanly in larger quantities.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Home-dried pork tenderloin, first try
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 09:28:19 PM »
Fascinating idea. I just found this posting.

Here's a cheese for that effort. :P

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Flound

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 3
  • He's back! My brain tried to off me. Failed!
    • Gooseberry Hollow YT channel
Re: Home-dried pork tenderloin, first try
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2023, 03:03:30 PM »
Boofer! How the heck are y’a?