Author Topic: Removing Cloth Marks and Irregularities/Asymmetry  (Read 1803 times)

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
Removing Cloth Marks and Irregularities/Asymmetry
« on: May 18, 2021, 01:40:46 AM »
I'm sure all of you, at one time or another, have had marks from Cheesecloth, or a cheese come out of a mould asymmetrical in shape.... I have been playing around with doing a final light pressing without the cloth, flipping the cheese after its final overnight pressing.... I tried different weights and times, and I now have a standard procedure that works for me, in several different moulds....  ;)

After the overnight pressing is complete, I remove the cloth, flip the cheese one final time, and then press it at 1/2 psi for 1/2 hour.... This combination of pressure and time seems to work well in removing the marks from the cloth, and evening up the top and bottom of the cheese, or the sides in the case of an Edam style.... I would assume that some shapes of mould, and with cheese of different hardness, you might find a better combination.... but this is a good place to start....  8)

Bob
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
Re: Removing Cloth Marks and Irregularities/Asymmetry
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 11:06:27 AM »
I absolutely have that problem. And have never solved it. I will try your technique next time I make a wheel...

Offline paulabob

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 12
Re: Removing Cloth Marks and Irregularities/Asymmetry
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 01:31:56 PM »
I really like using plyban.  It's not as long lasting as cheesecloth, but cheaper and fewer marks.  Feels less messy when handling.