Author Topic: Hillbilly Fondue  (Read 1938 times)

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
Hillbilly Fondue
« on: May 18, 2021, 07:30:07 PM »
My wife and I have been hankering to make a Fondue, and we had some pieces of three different cheeses that should all melt well.... so I found a recipe on the Internet that was easy and had wonderful ratings and comments.... Today we gave it a test drive, using some Emmental, Fontina, and smoked Edam, a total of 1/2 pound, and made a half recipe.... We used our own Apple wine for the base.... Here is the recipe....

Hillbilly Cheese Fondue

For 2              For 4

1 clove            2 cloves                Garlic (cut in half)
½ cup             1 cup                    Dry white wine
¼ pound         ½ pound               Grated Swiss cheese
¼ pound         ½ pound               Grated Gruyere cheese
1 tablespoon    2 tablespoons       Cornstarch
Pinch               Bigger pinch          Nutmeg (optional)
4-5 slices         8-10 slices            French bread cut into pieces

Use a double boiler (one pot sitting inside another pot that has hot water in it) for this recipe. 

Rub the inside of the top pot with garlic.  Discard the garlic clove(s).

Toss cornstarch in the grated cheese.  (Note:  You can use any cheese that melts well.)

Simmer the wine in the top pot of your double boiler.  Heat should be at medium or less.

Add Swiss cheese and Gruyere cheese a bit at a time making sure the cheese is melted before adding more.  Stir constantly.   

Add a pinch of nutmeg, if using.  Stir.

To keep your fondue melted, do it the hillbilly way.  Put the pot of fondue on a hot plate set on low.  If your hot plate has an area marked by a circle that is a bit hotter, you can put the pot there.

Put a piece of cut French bread on a fork and dip in.  YUM! 

Cheeses We Tried:
Fontina
Emmental
Smoked Edam

We didn't have a Fondue pot, so we just put the pot we made the Fondue in on a (1980's vintage) hotplate on the table....  ::) 

The mixture of cheeses we had produced a very flavourful mix, and paired perfectly with the Apple wine we used as the base.... I think any cheese that melts easily should work just fine....  8)

Bob
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 08:01:30 PM by rsterne »
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
Re: Hillbilly Fondue
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 03:53:27 AM »
A few weeks ago we made another Hillbilly Fondue, using Emmental and Gruyere (the classics), and again my Apple Wine.... It was completely AWESOME !!!!

Bob
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!