Author Topic: Lebaneh Cheese Recommendations  (Read 4262 times)

Offline Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 40
    • CheeseForum.org
Lebaneh Cheese Recommendations
« on: August 29, 2009, 05:28:22 PM »
The posts below in an Introduction Post were an interesting discussion that if left there would become buried, thus I've split them off and moved here.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 11:27:15 PM by Webmaster »

kawatiri kaas

Re: Lebaneh Cheese Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 10:44:48 AM »
Hi and welcome Leao, this is a great site, too good at times - the hours I 'waste' here tracking through thread after thread! Your comments about the lifestyle really resonate.  Tell me about Lebaneh, I have plenty of yoghurt... but the idea of eating cheese with olive oil as I understand is traditional is not overly appealing. However, part of eating a home made cheese is, for me, the 'cultural' experience that goes with it. Cheers.

Leao

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 02:59:22 PM »
Tell me about Lebaneh, I have plenty of yoghurt... but the idea of eating cheese with olive oil as I understand is traditional is not overly appealing.
For those who don't what Lebaneh is, you can see the type we make here: Organic Lebaneh. Personally there is nothing more I like than Lebaneh and olive oil with some toasted pitta. Everyone eats it in the Middle East, in fact most Arabs who come to visit our farm refuse to eat any cheese but Lebaneh. I think the word Lebaneh comes from the word for white in Arabic.

However, part of eating a home made cheese is, for me, the 'cultural' experience that goes with it.
Reminded me of this essay by the great G.K. Chesterton about cheese.

GBoyd

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 03:58:50 PM »
I have to admit I've never tried labneh.

That's an interesting essay. I'm a student at a bible college so I'm very familiar with Chesterton, but I've never been exposed to his cheese-related works before. He has a good point that cheese ought to have huge local variance.

And welcome to the forum.

kawatiri kaas

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 10:44:28 AM »
Great wit from Chesterton, nice pics from Galilee! What types of herbs would you recommend to sample Lebaneh with? I have sage (green and purple), basil, chives (common and garlic), chamomile, thyme, oreganum, fresh garlic, Egyptian onion and a couple of mints in the garden and then of course, a bunch of dried 'automatic' herb and spices as one does.

Alex

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 01:28:58 PM »
The most authentic additive should be a mixture of dried Za'atar (sort of oregano/thyme, you can substitute with), roasted sesame seeds, sumak (google for images) or citric acid, salt and olive oil just to wet a bit the mixture.

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 11:42:52 PM »
Here's a couple of pictures of Zaatar from our cupboard and a couple of an Olive Oil dipping herb mix. the store where we bought them from has several variations on the Zaatar, so very popular.