Author Topic: Romano With Eyes?  (Read 1828 times)

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
Romano With Eyes?
« on: July 24, 2021, 07:00:43 PM »
We have been watching our vacuum-bagged Romano swell up over the last 6 months, and felt a bit nervous about why.... Today was the day to open and sample it for the first time.... The rind was split in numerous places, and it was no longer a nice cylindrical shape, but very bulged on the sides.... Here is what we found....

For whatever reason, it has beautifully developed, nice shiny eyes!.... It smells and tastes wonderful, like a stronger Parmesan.... We used 8 litres of 1% P/H milk plus 600 ml. of 18% cream, for a total of 8.6 litres of 2.2% BF.... We used 1/2 packet of the NEC Thermo culture, plus 1/8 tsp. Lipase, and ripened for 30 min. at 89*F.... then a Floc. multiplier of 2.5X and cut the curds to 1/4".... We gently raised the temperature (over 50 min.) to 116*F, then stirred another 20 min. until we had rice-sized grains and a good "grip test".... We pressed in an NEC Small Cylinder mould, ending up at only 15 lbs. overnight, then brined for 8 hrs. in a 21% brine.... After a few days drying at 55*F we vacuum bagged it, and have stored it in our Cave at 55*F ever since.... I don't remember when we first noticed it expanding, but it probably reached its present state in 4 months or so.... The bag remained tightly sealed right up until I opened it today at 6 months.... We are extremely careful with our hygiene (my wife used to be a Dental Assistant, very familiar with sterilization procedures), and find it hard to believe we contaminated it along the way....

The cheese is medium hard and somewhat pliable, and slices perfectly.... It smells and tastes wonderful, but not as salty as a commercial Romano (we will brine 12 hrs. next time).... Any idea where the eyes came from?....

Bob
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Re: Romano With Eyes?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 09:39:54 PM »
I'm having a hard time seeing exactly what the holes look like. When you take cheese pics can you please aim straight on at the cut surface?
I wonder if it is Proprionic shermanii - though you would detect that characteristic Swiss-y flavor. 

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 11:04:29 PM »
I'll take another pic of a wedge tomorrow.... The holes are nice round bubbles, shiny on the inside, just like what you get with PS.... except we didn't use any!....  ::)

Bob
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 01:30:16 AM by rsterne »

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 03:43:48 PM »
Here is a pic of a wedge of the Romano which we ate last night.... My wife and I had an ounce each, with no ill effects....  ;)

It smelled wonderful, and tasted great, like a stronger Parmesan would be the best description.... It did not taste "Swiss", definitely "Italian"....  8) .... It is not very hard, more like a Gouda in texture, and slices beautifully, but should be wonderful grated on Pasta.... I'd still like to know what caused the eyes, though....  ???

Bob