Author Topic: Crazy Holes  (Read 1493 times)

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 20
  • Default personal text
Crazy Holes
« on: August 04, 2021, 11:43:42 PM »
I made two cheese which should have been roughly the same. I'll denote them B1 and B2. Ideally.

Bth used 1 gallon whole pasteurized milk and one gallon raw whole milk .  Brands were the same.

B1 had C21 Buttermilk culture and C201 Thermophilic
B2 had 1/8 tsp flora Danica (B2) and 1/2 cup some Bulgarian yogurt I had made

The makes were pretty much the same.
 B2 was a bit more elastic after pressing.  Both of these cheeses I wiped down frequently and kept them in my cave at ~53 degrees and 90-95 humidity.

Both used the same milks.  I open both today.  B1 had been aging 6 weeks, B2 5 weeks.  B1 is smooth, creamy with some pretty holes in it.
B2 has a nice texture also.. the taste is a bit sharper...  not as sweet. Not sour at all, not bitter at all...  It just has a stronger, sharper taste.
But most noticeable are the holes!  It is loaded with holes .. looks like a Lacey Swiss.

Here are the pics of the two cheeses...  I dont think the flora Danica is the culprit as Ive used FD before and this has not happened..  I fear coliform.

Interestingly I made a brick cheese also using the same milks and Flora Danica and I threw it out because it had a similar holes structure.
These are the only two cheese I've made that have had this issue.

I guess it was the Raw milk in the B2 batch.  I dont think it was post make contamination..  Thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 11:50:56 PM by bansidhe »
Making cheese is easy, making a cheese is hard

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Crazy Holes
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2021, 01:06:04 AM »
Nice little experiment. A cheese for your efforts.

I think they could have used a little more aging to more fully develop aromatics, flavor, and character. Time has to allow for the death of the cultures and their release of enzymes. I've enjoyed my cheeses in the 3-6 month region.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.