Author Topic: Bitter white mold/washed rind cheeses  (Read 2301 times)

Offline CCat

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
Bitter white mold/washed rind cheeses
« on: August 28, 2021, 07:24:39 AM »
Hi! For some time now I have been struggling with the problem that camemberts and smear cheeses quite often come out bitter. It's not a issue of milk as other cheeses from the same batch are okay. It is also not a matter of the amount of rennet.

I suspect it is because of the smear that likes to get hold of these cheeses (on purpose or not) before the mold is fully formed. I use pure geotrichum because either I want to get washed rind cheese (limburger, munster, etc) or St. Marcellin-like cheeses. Unfortunately, this is a total lottery - sometimes the cheeses come out correctly and sometimes they are so bitter that they end up in the garbage.

Question for experienced brothers and sisters - do you know what can be the cause and how to prevent it?

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
Re: Bitter white mold/washed rind cheeses
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2021, 12:57:22 PM »
There are a lot of things that can cause bitterness in cheese.  You may be running into using too much rennet, or too much calcium chloride.  Some recipes are really poor.  Always taste your curds as they are going in the mold.  If they taste at all bitter, then it's too much calcium chloride.  Too much rennet will make cheese bitter over time.  I've used as much as 60 IMCU per liter of milk, but usually I use about 46 IMCU per liter of milk.  Single strength liquid rennet is usually about 200 IMCU per ml and there are 20 drops per ml.  So that means there are about 10 IMCU per drop.  So normally I use 4.5 drops per liter of milk and I haven't had troubles up to 6 drops per liter of milk.  A tsp is 5 ml, so often you see recipes for things like X tsp per gallon :-P  Basically a tsp is 1000 IMCU so you can do the math :-)

But with your washed rinds, the problem is almost certainly b. linens.  In high moisture cheeses, it can make them *very* bitter.  Basically, you have to slow it down or it will basically rot your cheese.  Especially if you are adding geotrichum to the milk (or spraying it on), the rind will get to a high pH quickly and the b. linens will show up quickly.  As soon as it is established, put it into the normal fridge and finish aging it that way.  I honestly recommend *not* adding geotrichum to washed rinds, though, because things just grow way too fast.  It will show up on its own anyway.

Mixed rind cheeses (where you want a mix of geotrichum and b. linens) are tricky in my opinion.  But again, once you notice b. linens at all, you probably want to get it in the normal fridge to finish aging.  This is actually also true of bloomy rinds.  As soon as you have full white coverage, they should be aged at 6 C most of the time, IMHO.  The exception is when you are planning to eat them very early.

Or, at least, that's my experience.

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2021, 02:52:40 PM »
In my experience, the most common cause of bitterness is too little salt.  How are you salting your cheeses?

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2021, 03:16:00 AM »
I agree with Bantams. Back then I used to dry salt with 2-2.5% salt and it wasn't enough. Not all salt gets absorbed making it even less. I dry salt with 3-3.5% and my cheese comes out no longer bitter. I had a 45 days old wash rind cheese that was dry salted with 2.5% salt and it was pretty bitter. I vacuum packed it to age for almost 2 months and the bitterness was pretty much gone. It became sweet and savory.

Offline CCat

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2021, 03:17:44 PM »
Thanks for Your advices! Indeed I don't use too much salt. It is typically 1.5-2% dry salting. Need to try to increase this value, however I'm afraid a bit that final product would be to salty. Some time ago I decreased value from about 2.5% exactly because of this reason.

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2021, 03:58:03 PM »
I find salting bloomy rinds to be just about the most challenging aspect of cheesemaking!

My typical method is to coat the entire wheel in Diamond Kosher salt, then tap/rub the excess off.  But the cheese has to be the proper height, firmness, and moisture level. And room temp has to be correct.  I adjust day to day - a moister cheese gets a little less brushed off, drier cheeses get more brushed off, etc.