Author Topic: Splitting cheese after pressing  (Read 3856 times)

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 20
  • Default personal text
Splitting cheese after pressing
« on: September 02, 2021, 07:16:29 PM »
Can one divide a large cheese into smaller cheeses right after pressing and before brining? Then wax them and age them normally.  I ask because I want to do a 3 gallon make of a cheese than can ripen in 4-12 weeks.  Instead of opening a cheese and then rewaxing or vacuum sealing it, I'd rather just open one smaller cheese and allow the other(s) to continue aging uninterrupted.

Has this been done in the home cheese making kitchen?

If this can be done, does the shape of the cheese matter as far as aging is concerned?
Making cheese is easy, making a cheese is hard

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
Re: Splitting cheese after pressing
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 07:39:04 PM »
A while back I cut a "truckle" (tall wheel) in half, and brined the two halves separately, and it worked fine.... The brining time may be reduced, depending on the shape of the cheese, because a thinner cheese has less distance to the middle, and more surface area for the same weight.... There is a rough rule of thumb that says brining time should be 1 hour per pound, per inch of thickness (smallest dimension), but I think we need longer than that for our small wheels.... I use up to twice that time for a cheese that should have more salt, but stick to that for one using PS to create holes, because it is inhibited by salt....

Bob
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 07:53:28 PM »
I would divide it after the brine. Otherwise your salt will not distribute properly. If the interior has any mechanical openings you will have far too much brine entering the interior vs the original rind. 
I really think the larger the wheel the better, so I personally would divide after aging - eat part, rewax the rest. 

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2022, 01:46:40 AM »
Can one divide a large cheese into smaller cheeses right after pressing and before brining? Then wax them and age them normally.  I ask because I want to do a 3 gallon make of a cheese than can ripen in 4-12 weeks.  Instead of opening a cheese and then rewaxing or vacuum sealing it, I'd rather just open one smaller cheese and allow the other(s) to continue aging uninterrupted.

Has this been done in the home cheese making kitchen?

If this can be done, does the shape of the cheese matter as far as aging is concerned?

Have you considered vacuum bags instead of wax? just so much easier and cheaper and both work well.