Author Topic: Cracking at 4 Months  (Read 1552 times)

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
Cracking at 4 Months
« on: September 22, 2021, 03:38:16 PM »
I have had several cheeses expand and crack the wax about 4 months into the aging process.... Some used MM 100 (eg. Gouda) and were expected to produce CO2, others used non-gas producing cultures (eg. Asiago).... They expanded somewhat, and then had a sudden cracking of the wax.... I immediately vacuum bagged them to protect them.... There are no off smells, and they have always tasted fine.... We are very careful with our sterilization procedures (my wife was a Dental Assistant, and obsessed with infection control), and our water, although it comes from a well, runs through a UV sterilization system, and has always tested fine.... I am careful during initial pressing to not trap whey in the paste.... Any ideas?....

Bob
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
Re: Cracking at 4 Months
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 09:54:06 PM »
Just anecdotal, but for some reason washed curd cheeses seem to be prone to gas production.  I have no idea why (or if I'm even correct).  Additionally, alpine cheeses are famously prone to late blowing and its the source of much research.  Why is late blowing a problem for alpine cheeses and not for cheddar, I wonder...  I'm sure late blowing happens in cheddar, but it's not considered to be a big industry issue as far as I can tell.

My first alpine cheese has blown.  It started expanding after about 2 weeks and after about 6 weeks it was about as big as it was going to get.  It's the first cheese that has ever blown on me to that extent.  I over pressed that cheese and I think that's the reason. But why this cheese and not other cheeses I've over pressed?  My washed curd cheeses also often have evidence of gas production (small eyes).  My non-washed curd cheeses almost never do.  Why?

I have a bit of a theory.  I think it's partially due to the consistency of the paste.  Washed curd cheeses and alpine cheeses are high calcium cheeses.  The paste is very pliable.  Caldwell says that the reason you need to make big cheeses if you want good eye production is because CO2 escapes from cheese.  In order for eye development to happen, you need to trap that CO2.  I think the paste consistency is a big part of that.

However, I think there is more to it than that.  Because even if the cheese doesn't blow, if it were producing CO2, you'd see the plastic blow up in vacuum packed cheeses.   That isn't that common.  I've also been doing some experiments with yogurt.  The pH that milk coagulates due to acid is dependent on temperature.  So I realised that if I make yogurt at a high temperature, it should have a higher pH.  So a thermophilic yogurt made at 50 C will have a pH of around 5.3 or 5.4 if you catch it right when it coagulates.  A mesophilic yogurt made at 39 C will have a pH of about 5.0.  I've been playing with that and... I discovered that my high temperature mesophilic yogurts produce gas, while low temperature ones don't.  It *could* be that the higher temperatures favour the gas producing bacteria, but I actually think it's the pH.  I can actually completely kill off gas producing bacteria if I make acidic yogurt 10-15 times in a row (one of the problems I've had in maintaining complex mesophilic mother cultures).

And then couple that with my recent realisation that starter cultures *survive* and *grow* in cheese (which blew my mind)...  And I think I have a decent working theory.  High calcium cheese have a pliable paste that traps CO2.  They also maintain a high pH (due to the buffering capacity of the curds), which favours gas producers.  And the result is that they sometimes blow (especially if you intentionally add a gas producing starter culture -- but probably it can just get cross contaminated from time to time).  This will happen more often if the cheese has a high moisture content (and therefore high lactose level).  Thinking about it, I suspect this is the reason for the traditional overnight ferment before salting in Gouda style cheeses.  If you completely ferment out the lactose early, it won't blow later.

Of course, like I said, I actually have no idea.  This is just my current internal working model of what might be going on.

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 11:54:46 PM »
Thanks for that Mike.... I have ordered some Holdbac LC and will try that....

Bob

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 03:29:05 PM »
Higher pH and higher calcium cheeses like Alpines and Gouda are more prone to late blowing (Clostridium). But from what I've read it's mostly an issue with raw milk from cows fed silage, haylage, or other fermented feeds.  This is why the name-controlled Alpine cheeses, Parmigianino and others all prohibit the feeding of silage to the cows. 
There are other bacteria that cause swelling - Proprionic shermanii being the main one - but I'm not familiar with them all. Again, they are happiest in high calcium, high pH wheels, and need lower salt levels.

Cheddar has a lower pH at hooping, and is salted before hooping, which drastically reduces the proliferation of these bacteria. 

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 04:10:00 PM »
We use supermarket P/H milk, but I have no idea what feed they may give the cows, as it probably comes from 100 different herds.... If Clostridium spores survive pasteurizing, that could well be the source of our problem.... hence why I will try the Holdbac LC....

Bob

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 09:17:51 PM »
If it's regular grocery store milk you can assume the cows are fed silage. Probably 99% of large herds feed it. 

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 10:31:07 PM »
That's pretty much what I was thinking, yes Supermarket milk from one of the largest suppliers in BC (Dairyland).... So you would bet that at least some Clostridium spores are present?.... I am very proud of our cleanliness/sterilizing procedures, so my wife and I have trouble accepting any blame there....  ::)

Bob

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2021, 07:02:17 PM »
Contamination rarely occurs during cheesemaking - almost always from the milk.