Author Topic: Cheeses!  (Read 1399 times)

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 20
  • Default personal text
Cheeses!
« on: September 27, 2021, 12:04:40 PM »
I finally had enough cheese to present several for a small gathering.  Sadly this gathering came about because my father in law had just died.
The cheeses are as follows from front to back:

Cabra Al Vino.  I have made this twice.  The first time I forgot to wash the curds as well as a few other missteps.  This batch I followed the recipe very well.  Nonetheless, the results were quite similar.  Not sure why but this cheese has always come out rather bland. It's quite firm, the paste is a bit elastic .  It's not creamy or soft.  I have not been a huge fan of this cheese.  What might I be doing wrong?  NECheesemaling recipe

Pepper Jack:  It is NOT a pepper jack!  But it is good in it's own right.  The paste is more like feta than jack cheese.  The peppers I had smoked, and that smokiness permeates the cheese.  It's quite interesting even if not the cheese I intended. NECheesemaking recipe

Caerphilly, This Caerphilly was aged a bit longer than the first one I did.  I prefer the first one as it had a milkiness to it that I really liked. I am not sure if the difference is due to the longer aging OR the fact I used raw milk for the second one and pasteurized for the first. This is a Gavin recipe.

Blie (second pic).  This was to be the Camblu.  There was in spots a small bit of blue on the inside, though not as much as I would like.  On the outside the p.Candidum did not really take off.  Instead there was more of a b Linens coating.  This cheese is a winner.  I named it Blie to indicate the BLinens Brie combination.  The past was great.  This was everyone's favorite.  :-). NECheesemaking recipe.

I have a bunch of things in my cave now.  A Gorgonzola, Tilsit with Caraway, Cheshire, Pepper Colby, Cotswold and a beer infused cheese (Pumpkin Ale) that I have been washing with a pumpkin Ale wash.  Dont judge! :-). 
Making cheese is easy, making a cheese is hard

Offline paulabob

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 12
Re: Cheeses!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 12:29:25 PM »
Sorry for your loss.

Very nice looking spread!

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 04:19:57 PM »
Condolences on the loss of your father-in-law....  :'(

That looks like quite the spread you prepared....  ;)

Bob

Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 20
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 11:17:08 AM »
Thank You both.  It's been tough but the cheese must go on.
Making cheese is easy, making a cheese is hard