Author Topic: Lineback Cows  (Read 2388 times)

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 20
  • Default personal text
Lineback Cows
« on: September 27, 2021, 01:18:51 PM »
Hi,  I have heard much about Jersey cows and how great their milk is for cheesemaking.  I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Lineback cows? I ask because a local dairy's herd is 90% Lineback cows so I was wondering about their milk, how much protein, fat, etc

thanks

Making cheese is easy, making a cheese is hard

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
Re: Lineback Cows
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 01:34:27 PM »
Personally never heard of them before (but I'm not a cattle expert!).  Wikipedia says that they are a dual purpose breed, which from a milk perspective means that yield will be lower.  It does say that milk quality is higher (higher protein and higher fat).  This is pretty typical of that type of cow, if I understand correctly.  The modern Holstein is bred for volume, not quality.  I suspect that the milk will be quite good.

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 03:43:08 PM »
Jerseys are actually not ideal for cheesemaking because their milk typically has too much butterfat ;) They're more of a butter cow.
For most cheeses, you want roughly a 1:1 ratio of fat to protein (obviously richer milk is preferred for some blues, bloomies, soft washed rinds, etc, but I'm talking about normal aged cheese - Cheddar, Gouda, Alpines, etc.)
Linebacks should produce great cheese milk. Dual purpose simply means they were bred for both milk and beef; it indicates nothing about milk quality except that those breeds tend to be low/moderate producers.
I think all breeds make great milk and most of the variation comes down to how the cows are fed and how the milk is handled. 

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 05:45:13 PM »
The dairy pasteurizes their milk.  Apparently it's a low heat pasteurization.  I have only made about three cheeses with they milk.
Each time I found the curds to be extremely fragile..  so much so it frustrated me.  BUT each time, the cheese was really delicious.

I'd like to use their milk more as it is about 2 dollars less per gallon than the raw milk I get but the shattering curds frustrate me.

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 10:02:03 PM »
That's too bad. I think I would go to them and explain your experience and find out more about their procedures.
Are they Grade A?
It's possible they are overheating the milk, or that the milk is too old (should be 72 hours or fresher at pasteurization (legally) but <36 is better) or that their herd had a high SCC or subclinical Staph A mastitis (affects curd formation).   

If you can't get info from them, I can tell you how to send a sample to a lab for analysis. Quite cheap and easy. 

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2021, 05:42:47 PM »
Interesting.  They told me that local cheese makers say their milk makes great cheese.  I just wonder if it's user error on my part.  I do plan on trying their milk again...  just to see...  Maybe I'll take some pictures and post them so you can see for yourself.  I could be just super critical about curd formation...  I do know when I use raw milk, the curds are MUCH firmer.  If I try again.. and again get the same results
I may send a sample out.  Here is their website: http://bailysdairyfarm.com

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 11:48:53 PM »
Beautiful farm!
But looking at their labels the milk is homogenized and I'm almost certain, HTST pasteurized (pipeline pasteurization, not UHT but not vat pasteurized/ low temp. The standard process for grocery store milk).
If they're selling to licensed dairies, they are selling raw unprocessed milk. 

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2021, 09:13:27 PM »
Sigh.  It's so hard to get nice milk.  Nice for cheesemaking, that is.  Around here it is hard to find pasteurized milk that is not homogenized.  I think I did see some awhile back...  Knowing what I know now, I'll see if I can find it and make some cheese with it.