Author Topic: Goat and Water buffalo milk washed rind semi soft cheese  (Read 1505 times)

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Goat and Water buffalo milk washed rind semi soft cheese
« on: October 08, 2021, 01:09:30 PM »
This cheese was made from 4 liters goat's milk and 3 liters water buffalo's milk. I used yogurt as a starter culture. I stirred the curds for only 10 minutes at less than 100 f. This was unpressed to retain as much moisture as possible. Despite using more Goat's milk, the water buffalo milk still has more solids. Probably 45% goat and 55% water buffalo. Yield was 1294 g after dry salting with 3% sea salt. I didn't use B. linens culture and only washed it with 4% brine 3 times. This cheese was 39 days old. The flavor of the goat's milk is more noticeable and blends very well with the water buffalo milk. The texture is soft and pliable yet very creamy. The mouthfeel is pretty close to a ripe Brie. This cheese has a funky cured meat aroma which is totally different from the smell of commercial B. linens culture that I used before. The pH of the cheese after dry salting must be pretty high (5.4.-5.6) because it has some sweetness, slight tangy taste and elasticity. Goat's milk where I am from is 3 usd/liter. 50% more expensive than water buffalo milk so it is economical for me to use water buffalo milk as an extender to add richness and increase yield significantly.