Author Topic: First cheddar was a flop. Looking for recipe using pasteurized homogenized milk  (Read 3534 times)

Offline Lactosetolerant

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
After lots of planning and prep, my first cheddar didn’t work out.  I thought I had a clean break but after cutting the curds I started gently stirring and they basically fell apart.  I stopped stirring and let them heat up. They stopped disintegrating but ended up getting a little matted by the end.  I gently broke them apart.  I continued on and finished the process. When milling the texture seemed bouncier than I’ve seen in videos.  Did three pressings and the cheese never fully smoothed out.  The shape of the milled pieces are still visible.  I want to try again in a couple weeks, looking for a tried and true recipe.  (I do not have a PH meter or access to raw milk.)

Offline paulabob

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 12
What weights did you press with? Cheddar is one of the hardest to knit.  It helps, if you don't have a very heavy duty cheese press, to use a narrower mold (since the force applied by the weight will be magnified by the smaller dimension).

I have also added a bit of warmth when pressing when I haven't achieved much knitting within a few hours.

Did you use calcium chloride with your milk? 

I'm quite happy with NEC's recipe.  Though I have only done two cheddars!  Both turned out great though.

Offline Lactosetolerant

• Young Cheese
  • Default personal text
Hello,
My first press was 25lbs for 1 hour, than 40 lbs for 12 hrs, then 50 lbs for 12 hrs.  I used a dutch press. I did use calcium chloride. 

How do you add warmth while pressing??

I was going to go with the NEC recipe, but right before I started I was running through the recipe again and it was just so verbose. It wasn't clear and I just really wanted bullet points and not so much theory in the recipe so I changed recipes.  Maybe I need to look there again and see if they have a printable version that is less wordy, or just print it off and highlight the steps for clarity as I'm working with it.

How long have you aged your cheddars?? 

« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 12:49:04 AM by Lactosetolerant »

Offline Lactosetolerant

• Young Cheese
  • Default personal text
I just remembered there was an additional pressing. After the last pressing when I saw it wasn’t knit together I flipped it and pressed another 12 hrs at 50#.

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
I highly recommend getting a copy of Gianaclis Caldwell's Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking. 

Offline Lactosetolerant

• Young Cheese
  • Default personal text
I have her Basic book. I figured I’m not near Artisan yet!! Have you made her Cheddar?

Offline broombank

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
nobody has commented that your milk is homogenised - that seems the obvious explanation for your failure to get a good clean break and curd which knits. Can you get hold of some pasteurised non homogenised milk to try?

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
I use a blend of 2% Pasteurized/Homogenized store bought milk and 18% Coffee Cream.... 8 litres of 2% milk plus 1 litre of 18% cream gives you 9 litres of 3.8% butterfat, and I feel it works much more like cream-line milk.... at least I have never had any problems making cheese with it.... I vary the amount of cream to customize the BF content for the particular cheese in question, and for some I used Skim milk, and for others Whole milk, plus cream in both cases....

You have to be VERY gentle for the first 10 minutes of stirring or you can shatter the curds.... I press my Cheddars at least 3.5 psi, and if it isn't knit (rarely), go to 7 psi....

Bob
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
Yeah, 50 lbs is really on the light side for a cheddar of any reasonable size.  Area of your cheese is: pi * r^2 (or radius * radius * 3.14159...)  If we want Bob's 3.5 psi, we have to divide 50 / 3.5 = 14.2.  Divide that by pi = 4.55.  Then take the square root = 2.13.  So at 50 lbs, your mold can only have a diameter of 4.25 inches to hit that 3.5 psi.  Let's say your mold had a diameter of 6.5 inches, 3.25 * 3.25 * pi * 3.5 = 116 lbs of pressure needed.

This is why I make Caerphilly instead :-) (higher pH in the press, and therefore less pressure needed to knit the curds).  And also, my mold is only 4.25 inches...

Also, agree that homogenised milk is the likely cause of the curd shattering problem.  As Bob says, buying milk with the lowest fat content you can find and added pure cream to it helps a lot.  When milk is homogenised, the fat globules get burst and the fat ends up coating the casein (protein) micelles (bundles).  The makes it difficult for the rennet to do its work.  By limiting the amount of homogenised fat in the milk, you limit the amount of fat that is coating the micelles.  I've also found that mixing homogenised and non-homogenised milk works surprisingly well (60% non-homogenised produces decent curds, in my experience).  Just a tip if non-homogenised milk is very expensive where you live.

Offline paulabob

• Mature Cheese
Agree with Mike, 50 pounds generally too light for a cheddar to knit.

When I want to add warmth, I fill a couple of ziplock bags with warm water (like 20deg F over room temp), place around mold on the press, and cover the whole shenanigans (my press is usually in my kitchen sink).  Water has to be replaced every 45 minutes or so.

Offline Lactosetolerant

• Young Cheese
  • Default personal text
Can you get hold of some pasteurised non homogenised milk to try?

I haven’t looked yet. I was hoping the calcium chloride would make the milk I was using work but I guess not! I’ll look, thanks!

Offline Lactosetolerant

• Young Cheese
  • Default personal text
I use a blend of 2% Pasteurized/Homogenized store bought milk and 18% Coffee Cream....

You have to be VERY gentle for the first 10 minutes of stirring or you can shatter the curds.... I press my Cheddars at least 3.5 psi, and if it isn't knit (rarely), go to 7 psi....

Bob, I recently started reading old threads and saw some about blending milk and coffee cream,  they may have been your posts. I’m guessing coffee cream is half and half or refrigerated creamer.  That’s a great idea. I bookmarked some of those threads to reread before I try it again. 

How would I figure out the psi I would need?? 
Thanks for your insight.

Offline Lactosetolerant

• Young Cheese
  • Default personal text
....Area of your cheese is: pi * r^2 (or radius * radius * 3.14159...

...This is why I make Caerphilly instead....

....As Bob says, buying milk with the lowest fat content .....

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain calculating PSI.    Everything you are all saying really makes sense.  I do want to make Caerphilly too, it’s on my list!!  I will mix up my milk/cream ratios if I’m unable to find suitable milk next time. 

I air dried the cheese for two days then vacuum sealed it and put it in a temperature controlled mini fridge since I’m unable to control humidity for wax sealed or cloth banded.  I’m just going to let it age away and make a another batch soon.  Hopefully it will still be something worth eating even though it’s not pretty!

Offline Lactosetolerant

• Young Cheese
  • Default personal text
Agree with Mike, 50 pounds generally too light for a cheddar to knit.

When I want to add warmth, I fill a couple of ziplock bags with warm water (like 20deg F over room temp), place around mold on the press, and cover the whole shenanigans (my press is usually in my kitchen sink).  Water has to be replaced every 45 minutes or so.

Ok, good to know, thank you!!

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
I would use 33% heavy cream if I could.... Unfortunately, the version of that sold locally has a "thickening" agent in it, the 18% is the highest I can buy that is just milk and cream.... I can also get a 10%, called "half and half", but use the 18%, and blend it with milk (usually 2%) to get the BF percentage I want....

I have never tried Mike's suggesting of starting with Skim milk and adding a lot more of the 18%, but I can imagine it may work even better.... 7 litres of Skim plus 2 litres of 18% would give you 9 litres of 4% BF....

Bob
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!