Author Topic: Pots...Stainless steel versus aluminum  (Read 2374 times)

Offline Cheddarhead

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
Pots...Stainless steel versus aluminum
« on: November 26, 2021, 07:14:26 AM »
Hi Cheeseheads :)
I joined many years back, but due to a sudden family emergency, I was never able to go through with my wish to make cheese at home.
Now the family dynamic has changed, and I can again indulge my dream.
Now to get to my question. I've bought both the hard copy and Kindle version of Home Cheese Making by Ricki Carroll. She mentions that stainless
steel is the desired metal for utensils and pot.
I just watched a gentleman make parmesan on Youtube, in what I swear looks to be an aluminum pot. Can anyone tell me if this is so/is this alright to use?
I already have a very large aluminum pot, and would love to use it if possible. Any knowledge you could share would be appreciated. I have left a link so
you can see the pot too, and let me know if you think it's aluminum or stainless. But my end-goal is to find out whether or not it could be used, regardless.
Thanks, Nicci

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1k1w7SnNEY

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Re: Pots...Stainless steel versus aluminum
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2021, 09:47:22 PM »
Technically you can make cheese in an aluminum pot, but it is not advisable.  Cheese milk/whey is acidic and it will react with the metal.

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 01:43:41 PM »
I've used aluminium before.  The pot sure is shiny after you make cheese ;-).  The pot will pit after a lot of use.  I noticed no difference in the flavour of the cheese, but I've heard that some people have a genetic ability to taste it.  For making most cheese, it's not my first choice.  For ricotta, though, aluminium is the best (or anything you want to simmer just under a boil).  Different metals have different affinity for water and that affects the bubble size when it comes to a boil.  For good ricotta where you are making a foam on top of the whey and the cheese is formed, floating in that foam, the aluminium can produce a better texture.  It's not a huge amount, but it is noticeable to me.  In Italy they usually use copper pots which give you that good texture and I've heard the dissolved copper adds some stability to the foam (somehow... I'm not too sure about the chemistry to be honest).  It's toxic, I guess, but, hey... What's life without a few toxins?

I'm on IH heating now, so it's all stainless steel for me now.  One other small thing is that the chromium in the stainless steel holds heat really well, so it's slower to heat up and slower to cool down.  That's an advantage for normal cheeses.  But... I still miss my aluminium pots for ricotta...

Edit: In that video, that pot is stainless steel.  I agree that it looks like aluminium, but Gavin uses stainless...  Though I think in the old, old, old days he used to use an enamel canning pot (green, I think...).

Offline broombank

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 12
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2021, 10:33:48 PM »
dissolved aluminium is actually really dangerous and has often been implicated in the genesis of Dementia so I would err on the safe side and give aluminium a wide berth.

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 01:15:22 AM »
Here is a Snopes article about aluminum foil: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/cooking-with-aluminum-foil-puts-you-at-risk-for-alzheimers/  Similar conversations can be had about aluminum pots.

Part of the problem is that back in the 80's (I think...), there was a famous study that concluded that alzheimers was caused by aluminum build up.  This was widely published by all the major newspapers around the world.  The paper was subsequently found to be very flawed and was later retracted.  The retraction, of course, was never published by any newspaper.  So the idea that aluminum causes dementia was firmly planted in people's minds.

There have been a number of studies over the decades with very little conclusive evidence one way or the other.  If there is an effect, it appears to be extremely small.  Of course you can and should do your own digging to decide what risks you are willing to take.  My personal investigation led me to believe that it wasn't worth any amount of worry.  I'd certainly be considerably *more* worried about copper and I'm still quite happy eating Parmesan cheese (which is all made in copper pots).  YMMV, of course.

Having said that, IH heating is dramatically better than basically anything else from an environmental/performance perspective.  In fact, I switched from gas to IH last year (since we have an all electric house now) and I was incredibly surprised that I like the control I get from IH *better* than gas!  So, I'm totally onboard with the idea that aluminum as a surface for cooking is not something that's reasonable long term.  A properly seasoned carbon steel fry pan is basically going to trump any fancy sandwiched aluminum/steel pot both in price and performance.  And... for pots for cheese other than ricotta, stainless steel has better properties than aluminum (other than cost).

But, personally, if you have an aluminum pot and feel comfortable doing the research to decided if it's OK for you, I don't think there is any particular reason to avoid using it.