Author Topic: How to coat a tomme with dried flowers  (Read 2074 times)

Offline Jenellen

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
How to coat a tomme with dried flowers
« on: December 07, 2021, 10:28:34 PM »
I want to make a mountain style, washed curd cheese and then coat the rind with dried wildflower petals. Can someone advise on how and when to do this? The cheeses I’ve seen seem to have the flower petals firmly stuck. I’ve attached a photo of one I saw in France.

Offline broombank

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 12
  • Default personal text
Re: How to coat a tomme with dried flowers
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 11:40:06 PM »
We have an Austrian cheese called Alp Blossom on sale in the local artisanal cheese shop ( Gourmet cheese Aberdeen) It is delicious. I suspect its both a washed curd and washed rind and that a sticky rind is developed first to which the flowers can easily be stuck. Probably some Linens in the mix and then a humid daily wash with beer or cider. I'm guessing as its not a cheese for which I have ever seen a recipe. Maybe others can help?

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 04:20:55 AM »
Only a guess, but I would age it with a normal natural rind for 4-5 weeks, then wash it all off and add the flowers.  This should stop things growing on top of the flowers.  But it's possible that they age it all the way out and then wash off the rind.

Offline Jenellen

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 06:05:12 AM »
Thanks for your responses. It seems logical to develop a slightly sticky rind in order to attach the flowers. I’ll report back if it works.

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2021, 04:14:02 PM »
Most coated cheeses I've seen are more of a lactic-style and they are quite moist when rolled in herbs. Then the P candidum comes along and helps bind the coating to the rind.