Author Topic: No Milk for a Month!  (Read 1908 times)

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
No Milk for a Month!
« on: December 13, 2021, 09:43:02 PM »
A month ago we had major floods in BC, which closed all the main highways from the lower mainland (ie Vancouver et al) to the interior, where we live.... and I mean ALL of them....  :o .... Within a couple of days they opened one route, Hwy. 3, from Hope to Princeton, but with all the other routes still closed, ALL the truck traffic now travels that one, winding mountain pass.... Of course now it's winter, and lots of snow, and with thousands of extra trucks, there is a major accident every day, so grocery deliveries here are really messed up....

Milk, butter, eggs and fresh meat have been rationed at our one local supermarket for a month, and still are.... We are only able to purchase ONE 4-litre jug of milk each trip, and we use that much in a week, so there is no extra for cheesemaking.... Therefore, we are deprived of the ability to do that.... This week we have to make a couple of extra trips to Princeton (it's an hour round trip), so we got enough milk to make cheese tomorrow, and plan a Maasdam, our first of that make.... Four weeks without making cheese seems like an eternity!....  ::)

Bob
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
Re: No Milk for a Month!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2021, 12:38:40 PM »
I am so sorry to hear that. A hobby like cheese is the least of your worries. Glad to hear that you and yours are Ok. Give the dog a big scratch behind the ears!

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2021, 03:30:28 PM »
That's another sad story.... Molly (our chocolate Lab) has terminal cancer....  :'( .... We survived the flooding, our property was an island....  ;)

Bob

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2021, 12:17:09 PM »
How sad. We lost our dog (years ago) to cancer so I get it...    :(

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 01:47:52 AM »
Finally, no milk rationing this week.... I hope it continues.... Our Cheese Drought ends this Sunday with a Colby!....  8)

Bob