Author Topic: chevre with pen aged 6mo, spots on white rind  (Read 1470 times)

Offline bmilestharp

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
chevre with pen aged 6mo, spots on white rind
« on: December 18, 2021, 01:11:31 PM »
Hello! First post. I have goats and make primarily chevre. I'm a total newby. I added some pen (and sometimes geo) to some batches and let them bloom and age in a converted fridge (apprx 85% humidity, 50 degrees F). We've eaten many of them and they were great. I have some that have now aged over 6 months. A number have developed a powdery, light brownish, maybe even a pink/purple hue spots on the white rind. Not sure what this is. Not sure if I can just cut it off and eat the cheese - or if the whole thing must be discarded. I've attached some images. I have the same question for some that have developed smaller darker mold spots.

On that note - this made me realize I don't understand how some cheeses can be made allowing wild molds to grow on them. How would someone ever know if the wild molds are safe?

Thanks for any insight!

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Re: chevre with pen aged 6mo, spots on white rind
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 05:22:04 AM »
I do not see much wrong there for cheeses at 6 months ,  not much grows on cheese that is toxic  and after that long of aging even listeria is usually out competed for nutrients.

Generally my moto with cheese is that it does not go bad it just becomes  more and more un eatable .

Usually with my older cheese I try to slowly dry them out so they can be used for grating , especially goat cheeses

Can we  see some pics of the insides ?