Author Topic: Cheese Press Instructions  (Read 2032 times)

Offline chimney smoker

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
Cheese Press Instructions
« on: December 27, 2021, 09:00:56 PM »
Can someone help me by sending me a copy of there instructions for this type of cheese press instructions please? I didn’t receive them when I purchased the press. I would like to know what the tension is on the springs. Thank you!

Offline chimney smoker

• New Cheese
  • Default personal text
Re: Cheese Press Instructions
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 09:32:29 PM »
I just can’t believe nobody has the instructions for one of these presses…..please I need help!

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 07:28:59 AM »
Not only do I not have one of these, I've never *seen* one of these.  At the very least can you tell use where you got it?

Anyway, put a scale on the bottom board.  Put the follower on top of the scale.  Screw down the bar all the way.  Note the amount of weight.

Having said that, I've never once tried to measure the amount of weight I have on a cheese.  You need enough weight and no more.  The definitition of "enough" depends entirely on your make and no recipe can tell you what that is.  All I can say is that most recipes wildly over press their cheeses anyway, so you will be better off ignoring those instructions in virtually every case.

For normal pressed cheeses, you initially want enough weight so that whey beads up on the outside of the mold, but doesn't run at all.  If whey is running, then you are probably over pressing.  Over pressing early will close the rind before the whey has drained.  Whey will drain without any weight at all (make cheese curds to convince yourself of that).  The reason for pressing is to close the rind, not to drain the whey.  Normally most of the whey is drained after about 2 hours so that's the target for closing the rind.

Because cheeses are usually draining freely as soon as you put them into the mold, for the first 15 minutes you should not press them at all.  Then flip and while doing so inspect the rind.  For very dry curds, you will want a little bit of weight, but basically just until the whey beads up.  Again, if it is draining freely without weight, then leave it.  Flip again after 15 minutes and inspect it.  Then do a 30 minutes and flip 3 times (total time 2 hours).  Each time, adjusting the weight until you are just getting whey beading up, but not running.  After 2 hours, if the rind isn't closed to your liking, then you can put on as much weight as you want.  Basically put on enough so that the rind is closed before you need to salt it.

The real exception to this is cheddars which is already drained (and salted) before going into the mold.  You need a *lot* of weight (up to 8 psi).  Your press is unlikely to be able to generate enough pressure with those thumb screws to close a large cheddar (unless you have super strong fingers).  You may need hundreds of pounds. When doing a cheddar, you probably to replace the thumb screws with real nuts and then use a heavy duty torc wrench to see if you have done enough weight.  You probably don't want the springs at all in that case (they will definitely not be strong enough).  I make *very* small cheddars, so I don't need much weight.  Again, I've never found the need to measure the weight.  I just look to see if the rind is closing and if it isn't I add more weight.  Using a wrench, you can feel how much resistance you are getting and you can get used to it really quickly.  I've never actually used a torc wrench because there really is no need to know how much force you are using.

The main reason to record weight is if you are making the same cheese over and over and over again with the same equipment and the same conditions.  You can record weights and hire someone who doesn't know as much as you to make the cheese.  If it's a cheese you have never made before, you will always do better to think about it than to blindly follow what someone else has done.

Offline Gromit

• New Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2022, 01:34:27 AM »
There’s not much you need to know about using the press, but first you’ve got it set up wrong, the springs go each side on the screw rods between the 2 wooden bars. To use put your cheese in under the lower wooden bar, place the wooden stepped block on the lower bar in the centre, wind down the the top bar until it reaches one of the notches. The notches represent the approximate pressure in probably pounds (but might be kg’s you will need to calibrate), the top notch say 5 pounds the next one down 10 pounds. Best way to check is to calibrate using a kitchen scale before using you will only need to check the first 2 notches to figure out what the scale is.

Offline Mike Cross

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2022, 04:55:59 PM »
While these types of presses do work somewhat with enough attention, I prefer a gravity press that keeps constant pressure throughout the entire press cycle.  With these spring presses, the pressure reduces as the whey runs so you end up either over pressing at the beginning and/or under pressing at the end, and there is nothing worse than over pressing.  Gravity presses are simple to make with a couple of sticks of wood and some weight.  Ditch this press.

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2022, 05:09:26 PM »
I use that style press, that I made myself, exclusively.... There is nothing different about setting it to a given weight, or hanging a weight on a stick.... if the weight is too great, you will initially overpress the cheese, trap whey inside, and end up with cracks and a sour result.... The biggest problem is that recipes specify a weight, without regard for the area of the mold, and people just use that weight.... I know that is exactly what I did at the beginning, and I had lots of cracked, sour cheese as a result....

I do agree that a press that uses a weights requires less attention to keep a constant weight than one with springs, but the key to pressing a cheese is to use ONLY enough weight to get the whey dripping out of the mold, not running out, for as long as that takes, at whatever pressure that requires.... For a Cheddar you might start at 20 lbs. and be at 80 lbs. by the end of 2 hours, while for a soft, moist cheese you might start at 1-2 lbs. and increase to 10 lbs. over 15 minutes, hold at that weight for another 15, and then flip and rewrap.... and then proceed with the same care to 20 lbs.... For the first 2 hours you should be very attentive to the rate the whey is coming out, and not just preset a weight and walk away.... The goal is to use the minimum pressure to have the rind knit at 2 hours after you started pressing....

In reality, you may be better off to not know the weight your press is producing, and just learn to watch the whey expulsion and how the cheese is knitting....  ;)

Bob
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2022, 12:27:25 AM »
I use a simple screw press (without springs).  My normal mantra is to watch your cheese drain closely in the first 2 hours and I don't think having a constant force on my cheese would change my mind about that.  My schedule is normally 15 min x 2, 30 min x 3.  The first 2 flips usually require retightening, but it's as easy as walking up to it after 5-10 minutes and finger tightening the bolts.  My day is not so busy that I can't glance at my draining cheese every 5-10 minutes for the first 30 minutes. ;-) After the first 2 hours, the cheese has drained (usually) and you can crank as much weight as you want on it.  Also, because the cheese has drained, the cheese is no longer expelling large amounts of whey and so the size is not appreciably changing.  And this means that your pressure is quite constant after that point.

Side note: The reason you are trying to knit the cheese before it drains is because cheese knits *much* more easily when it is at a high pH.  As the cheese is draining, it is getting more acidic.  The press is *not* for forcing the whey out of the cheese.  In fact, it inhibits that process because you are closing the rind (holes in the outside of the cheese) faster than it would close normally.  That's why you have to make sure not to over press the cheese.  For cheddars you drain the cheese first and then press it.  This is why it is hard to press a cheddar.

As Bob says, you should be adjusting your weight based on how well it is knitting, which is why I flip frequently.  I would not change that no matter what press I was using.  There are *lots* of famous artisan cheese makers who use screw presses (although usually stacking the cheeses).  I think recipes that say, "Press with X lbs for Y hours" are a combination of "good enough cheesemaking" and cargo culting large operations.  If you are making 100 cheeses as at a time, you can't flip every 15 -30 minutes :-)  So you dial in a process that works well enough and you go with it.  That doesn't mean it's optimal.

Having said that, I'd love to have a dutch style press for making cheddars.  In fact, it's not really reasonable for me to make cheddar *at all* with my flimsy set up.

Offline Lmmonroe

• Young Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2022, 12:55:12 AM »
I bought this cheese press myself (or one just like it) and this video on YouTube shows you how to use it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgPBbcGpaH0

Hope that helps!