Author Topic: Underbrined Parmesan  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Zapacat

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Default personal text
Underbrined Parmesan
« on: January 26, 2022, 10:34:48 PM »
Hi all,

I made a parmesan which was brined Jan 19th. Caldwell's book has a typo where she states brine for 12 hours per lb (6 hours/kg). I didn't think about it and since I work in metric, I brined just over 6 hours/kg instead of 24/kg then vac packed it to ripen (I don't have a good cave right now).

I've just realized this today. Can I put it back in brine for the remaining time? or am I doomed to a boring parm in 6 months?

Thank you!
Teresa

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
Re: Underbrined Parmesan
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 11:17:48 PM »
It depends on the thickness of your cheese, along with the weight.... Yes, there is a typo (should be 6 hrs./lb or 12 hrs./kg.), and that was for a 4 gallon recipe, and the size and proportions to go with that.... If you check out recipes from others, the time varies all the way from 6-10 hrs. for a 2 gal. recipe, which would have a yield of about 1.5 lbs.... A wide, thin cheese will reach a given salt content faster than a smaller diameter, thick one....

6 hrs./lb. is about 13 hrs./kg., not 24.... The last Parm I made was 1.4 lbs. and about 2.5" thick x 4.5" diameter, from a 2 gal. make, and I brined it for 8 hrs.... It was great!....

Bob
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 11:23:45 PM by rsterne »
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

Offline Zapacat

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Default personal text
Re: Underbrined Parmesan
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 11:42:54 PM »
Thanks, Bob,

I should have added that information. Total weight is 1.30kg (2lbs 14oz) and its dimensions are 3" tall by 5 1/4" in diameter. From a 16L (4.2 gallon) make.

Caldwell states in the intro to extra-hard grating cheeses to brine 7-12 hours per pound or 14-24 per kg. Again, I didnt see that particular section until revisiting it in my "panic" now.

In the actual recipe, in the salting section, it says "immerse in in heavy brine for 12 hours per lb (6 hours per kg)" so she reversed the time for the weight conversion from pounds to kg or vice versa and I didn't notice the mistake. I just went with the time/kg. Her definition of heavy brine is 23% which is what I used.

So, according to the 12 hours/lb, it should have brined for 33-34 hours but instead it brined for 9.

So I'm thinking of trying to re-brine for the total amount of time it should have been (another 24 hours for a total 33) but the rind is beautiful and is probably fairly impermeable compared to what it was pre-brining. I'm wondering if I should go longer because of the rind?

Thanks for your help,
Teresa