Author Topic: Using store boght dairy products as thermophilic starter  (Read 1578 times)

Offline lafux

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
Using store boght dairy products as thermophilic starter
« on: February 05, 2022, 06:11:30 PM »
Hi, in order to get some ST and LB ready-to-use cultures for a first try at a Grana and Mozzarella, I am forced again to hack the damn thing by using one of these store bought dairy products. Namely sour cream, sour milk or yogurt. I've read here that such thing is possible, but to what extent and under what circumstances it could prove success I am not quite sure. According to labels, they all "contain" said cultures. Or maybe contained, depends on the perspective, because non of them is referred to as cultured or probiotic nor it is explained whether there was some kind of post-fermentation pre-packaging treatment that would definitely kill off anything living in those products. Take into account this, I am writing from third world country where a lot of what we are forced to use/eat has different qualities under the same name/class of products compared to other normal countries. Add to that insane amount of additives like starches, thickeners and other stuff... You get my point. And believe my word for it, it is not an exaggeration. For example, products like organic fresh milk, or any fresh full cream milk for that matter, doesn't exist here in free market, as well as stuff like buttermilk or creme fraiche, which all can be used as starters. So yeah, the idea goes two ways. First would be to use "sour milk". I think this has the most chance of having something alive in it because in my understanding of things this is nothing other than milk with added cultures left for some time to acidify and curdle on its own, packaged and sold as it is. It comes in 180 g plastic cup. I would add it, 180 g, directly to milk when making cheese. The other idea would be to take a Tbsp or two of sour cream and/or joghurt, mix it with 1/4 to 1/2 cup of milk and leave it overnight in room temperature to multiply and reinvigorate bacteria and then add it to milk next day when making cheese. What strains of ST and LB are in this products I have no clue. For Grana I would be adding also a very small amount of proper mesophilic (lactis and cremoris) and a thermo adjunct (helveticus). For mozzarella though, I still haven't decided whether to use any culture at all being my first (using only citric acid instead). Any personal experiences in this regard, comments, ideas?       

Offline Mornduk

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 19
  • Default personal text
Re: Using store boght dairy products as thermophilic starter
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2022, 06:35:04 PM »
I would first decide if you need thermo, meso, or both -depending on the kind of cheese you want to make. Then culture some milk with them overnight to check that they are active (as explained in this thread. If that works you have an active culture that you can use at ~2% of total milk weight.

Offline lafux

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
Re: Using store boght dairy products as thermophilic starter
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2022, 04:41:42 PM »
Thanks for the response. I'll do just that. Thermo is what I need in this particular instance. Hopefully there are some still kicking in store bought dairy. This will be an interesting sidequest.