Author Topic: Using store boght dairy products as thermophilic starter for Grana style cheese  (Read 1525 times)

Offline lafux

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
Hi, in order to get some ST and LB ready-to-use cultures for a first try at a Grana and Mozzarella, I am forced again to hack the damn thing by using one of these store bought dairy products. Namely sour cream, sour milk or yogurt. I've read here that such thing is possible, but to what extent and under what circumstances it could prove success I am not quite sure. According to labels, they all "contain" said cultures. Or maybe contained, depends on the perspective, because non of them is referred to as cultured or probiotic nor it is explained whether there was some kind of post-fermentation pre-packaging treatment that would definitely kill off anything living in those products. Take into account this, I am writing from third world country where a lot of what we are forced to use/eat has different qualities under the same name/class of products compared to other normal countries. Add to that insane amount of additives like starches, thickeners and other stuff... You get my point. And believe my word for it, it is not an exaggeration. For example, products like organic fresh milk, or any fresh full cream milk for that matter, doesn't exist here in free market, as well as stuff like buttermilk or creme fraiche, which all can be used as starters. So yeah, the idea goes two ways. First would be to use "sour milk". I think this has the most chance of having something alive in it because in my understanding of things this is nothing other than milk with added cultures left for some time to acidify and curdle on its own, packaged and sold as it is. It comes in 180 g plastic cup. I would add it, 180 g, directly to milk when making cheese. The other idea would be to take a Tbsp or two of sour cream and/or joghurt, mix it with 1/4 to 1/2 cup of milk and leave it overnight in room temperature to multiply and reinvigorate bacteria and then add it to milk next day when making cheese. What strains of ST and LB are in this products I have no clue. For Grana I would be adding also a very small amount of proper mesophilic (lactis and cremoris) and a thermo adjunct (helveticus). For mozzarella though, I still haven't decided whether to use any culture at all being my first (using only citric acid instead). Any personal experiences in this regard, comments, ideas?       

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Buy plain natural yogurt/sour cream. You should try making yogurt from it before you make cheese to know if it is truly alive. I too am from a third world country and fortunately I have access to natural yogurt and pure powdered yogurt and kefir cultures. I currently use 2 kinds of yogurt with multiple different strains (Russian and Danish) and both are chinese brands. I use 1-2% of the weight of the milk in yogurt. I store the yogurt in the freezer when not in use and thaw it a day before I make cheese. You should try looking for yogurt culture in a popular online shop in your country or try aliexpress.

Offline lafux

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
Re: Using store boght dairy products as thermophilic starter for Grana style
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2022, 04:32:38 PM »
Thanks. I will definitely try this method first testing it on a small scale with suggested ratio. Cup of milk with 1-2% sour cream from store. If it works well enough to acidify and coagulate the milk then I'm all set. A Grana style and mozzarella are in focus right now. These store cultures will surely shape the flavor profile in their own right. With long ripened cheese it's a long shot before this could be judged, but right now I can't find proper thermophilic culture acquirement channel (shipment costs are too much). So in the meantime this is better than nothing, I suppose. 

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Re: Using store boght dairy products as thermophilic starter for Grana style
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 01:14:59 AM »
Thanks. I will definitely try this method first testing it on a small scale with suggested ratio. Cup of milk with 1-2% sour cream from store. If it works well enough to acidify and coagulate the milk then I'm all set. A Grana style and mozzarella are in focus right now. These store cultures will surely shape the flavor profile in their own right. With long ripened cheese it's a long shot before this could be judged, but right now I can't find proper thermophilic culture acquirement channel (shipment costs are too much). So in the meantime this is better than nothing, I suppose.
There is free shipping in Aliexpress but you have to wait for 1-2 months for the item to arrive. Below are links for yogurt/thermophilic starter cultures in aliexpress. Imo they are better than the ones you can buy at cheesemaking shops because they are cheaper and each have 5 strains of bacteria compared to 1-3 strains in your typical thermophilic starter culture.

Russian yogurt culture:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003502225763.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.5d5f632de2YcAV&algo_pvid=e789ca68-955d-444a-a378-e4bf36c54523&algo_exp_id=e789ca68-955d-444a-a378-e4bf36c54523-1&pdp_ext_f=%7B"sku_id"%3A"12000026081590664"%7D&pdp_pi=-1%3B65.08%3B-1%3B-1%40salePrice%3BPHP%3Bsearch-mainSearch

Danish yogurt culture:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003551426691.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.5d5f632de2YcAV&algo_pvid=e789ca68-955d-444a-a378-e4bf36c54523&algo_exp_id=e789ca68-955d-444a-a378-e4bf36c54523-9&pdp_ext_f=%7B"sku_id"%3A"12000026255289647"%7D&pdp_pi=-1%3B55.34%3B-1%3B-1%40salePrice%3BPHP%3Bsearch-mainSearch