Author Topic: Gorgonzola inspired blue cheese made from Goat's milk  (Read 1521 times)

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Gorgonzola inspired blue cheese made from Goat's milk
« on: March 10, 2022, 03:00:47 AM »
I made this cheese with the intent of making a high moisture, moderate blue flavor and sweet blue cheese similar to Gorgonzola Dolce and the resulting cheese was pretty close. I was expecting this to be a failure because when I opened it, it has a slight ammonia smell. Fortunately the ammonia smell didn't penetrate into the paste. I am very pleased with the blue veining, texture and flavor of the cheese. I emulated the ladling technique of Gorgonzola makers on youtube and luckily it worked for me. I hope I can recreate this cheese consistently. This cheese was pierced at day 3, washed in 3% brine then wrapped in regular aluminum foil at day 21 to disable the blue mold on the rind and to lock in moisture and opened at day 43. It has a moderate blue flavor and a subtle goat flavor. It is sweet, sharp, savory, moist and really creamy. This is easily one of the best blue cheeses I've ever made.

Offline paulabob

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 12
Re: Gorgonzola inspired blue cheese made from Goat's milk
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2022, 01:51:44 PM »
Looks beautiful.  AC4U

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2022, 02:48:48 PM »
Thanks! I still remember when you complemented me for the crappy blue cheese that I made almost a year ago. I improved a lot since then.

Offline paulabob

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2022, 01:17:02 PM »
Ha Ha!  I've only made the one blue - and I liked it, but came out picante and not dolce like the recipe.  Maybe I should try again.  :)

Whose recipe did you follow for that cheese?

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2022, 06:02:35 PM »
I have my own recipes for blue cheese or any cheese for that matter because I use different ingredients, different milk, use diy and tofu molds and I love to experiment. I find it more rewarding to recreate famous cheeses using my own methods/recipe with some techniques copied from the original manufacturer.

Offline paulabob

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2022, 12:08:35 AM »
That's neat!  Must take quite a few tries and a lot of notetaking to zero in on what you want.  Beautiful cheese.

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2022, 06:02:06 AM »
Taking notes helps but making cheese every week or two weeks helps a lot more. It gives me practice and experience, making cheese becomes kind of trivial and second nature. Its like cooking a meal, I just do it and don't obsess about the details.