Author Topic: Frankenbrie  (Read 1638 times)

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Frankenbrie
« on: March 22, 2022, 02:00:25 AM »
This is a 67 days old brie style cheese. I used Kefir as starter and used thermized Cow's milk. The beautiful holes are probably caused either by the Kefir or the microbes that survived the thermization or both. The cheese's texture and flavor is pretty close to a Brie de Meaux. It was almost fully ripe. Its texture is very soft, creamy and almost gooey when warm. It has a slightly buttery, cheesy and mushroomy flavor. I can no longer buy Brie de Meaux and it was really expensive when it was available, almost 60 usd per kilo. I am glad I can make a decent copy that is really cheap to make. I only spent 9 usd to make this 715 g cheese and making it was fun and educational. It has a few specks of blue mold in the paste which gave it a Cambozola like flavor in those spots. I make a lot of blue cheese so cross contamination is bound to happen. It also developed a tinge of B. linens because I don't have a bloomy rind cheese wrap. I wrapped this in parchment paper, 2 sheets of paper towels and Glad press n seal. It got damp inside which encouraged the B. linens. Good thing the cheese still smells mushroomy.

Online MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
Re: Frankenbrie
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 11:17:22 AM »
Nice looking cheese.

AC4U

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2022, 02:03:40 AM »
Thanks!

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2022, 01:49:04 PM »
Just 2 photos to show how supple and soft it is when when warmed up at room temperature for over 20 minutes. It can even be stretched.