Author Topic: Cow's milk cheese based on Reblochon  (Read 2621 times)

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Cow's milk cheese based on Reblochon
« on: March 28, 2022, 06:15:00 AM »
This is my second attempt on a cheese based on Reblochon using my own recipe and unconventional methods. I got a bit carried away and used 8 liters of cow's milk resulting in a cheese that was 1135 g after salting. I used Kefir and Yogurt as starter cultures to mimic a farmstead culture. As expected the cheese smelled less intense compared to my previous attempt using water buffalo milk therefore the rind is kinda pleasant to eat. It is still not fully ripe. The ripe part is creamy, gooey and almost runny when warmed up at room temperature. The unripe part is soft, supple and creamy. If I did let it go completely ripe, it will take over 70 days and it might be break apart and ooze out. Next time I will use 6 liters of cow's milk and stir a bit longer so it will be less gooey and will be completely ripe in less than 2 months. Its paste has a milky, buttery and classic "cheese" flavor similar to young gouda or colby. I used it in a simple Tartiflette with only 5 ingredients (bacon, onions, potato, white wine and cheese). It gave a rich, cheesy and creamy flavor and a creamy texture. It also melted really well.