Author Topic: Wooden Spoon for Stirring Curds  (Read 1974 times)

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
Wooden Spoon for Stirring Curds
« on: March 31, 2022, 04:05:01 AM »
For the last 18 months, since we started making Cheese, we have been stirring our curds with a slotted stainless steel spoon.... No matter how carefully we stir, we always end up cutting the curds smaller than the cubes we started with.... To try and avoid this problem we purchased a large wooden spoon with rounded edges....

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08N17YXWG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These photos are from the Amazon website, and in the one below you can see how blunt the edges of the spoon are.... It is 16.5" long and 2.7" wide....

The difference is remarkable.... The curds are much larger and more consistent after the first 15 minutes of stirring after the initial cutting into cubes.... My wife sterilizes it by spraying with Hydrogen Peroxide and leaving it to sit for 15 minutes before wiping it down with a clean paper towel.... This is one of the biggest advances we have made in keeping the curds intact during stirring, and we couldn't be more delighted....

Bob
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

Offline broombank

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 12
  • Default personal text
Re: Wooden Spoon for Stirring Curds
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2022, 05:46:02 PM »
my solution here is a very large silicone spoon which has smooth edges. I agree absolutely that a metal spoon will break up the curds.